Custom Maverick & DX2 Probe Bracket?

Scott C.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a quick question... In discussing my extraordinarily long cook time on my butts last time, on of the thoughts brought up was the probe placement perhaps being too close to the edge of the grate causing the temp at the center to be much lower.

As mentioned in that thread, I had 2 Sam's Butts side by side about 2" apart centered between the greate handles. I then usually connect the Maverick mount to the grates about 1/2 way between the meat and the edge of the grate on the side with the most grate showing, and then I just use the DX2 alligate clip on the Maverick mount. Together they both normally read within a degree or two.

Anyway, I was told to get an accurate read, the probes have to be in the middle of the grate. However, as with 3 or 4 racks of ribs, and butts, etc, the center is usually so close to the meat that I also don't want to be too close to the cold meat effecting things the other way, having the grill run too hot either.

While scoping this out, it dawned on my that the best solution would be to simply have something like the Maverick mount, but designed so that it positions the probes lower beneath the grate. I would think something like 3" below would allow you to mount it dead center, while avoiding the meat temp effecting things.

I did some searching here and didn't see anything on this subject, but was wondering if anyone has looked into this and come up with something?

Thanks!

Back