Craglist Q

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up a Q tonight. Came with the rolling cart and a gray weber cover. Owner said it stopped working when he changed over the tank. He wanted $50.00
I said since it does not work I'd take a chance on it and offered him $25.00 and he took it.

So where do I start on this, I'm not even sure of the model number. I'd like to have it run off the small cylinders for tailgating, should I remove the long LP tank hose.
I read some good threads about cleaning out the burner.
Serial number is on a leg?
Thanks, Al

No Glen, maybe tomorrow. It was dark when I brought it home, I just unloaded it and set it in the garage. I'll get some before pictures for sure. I'll pick up a few liters of coke and clean the grate tomorrow.

Odds are it is the hose and or possibly the regulator. Get a small tank and install it in place of the hose. If the grill works correctly get a new hose and have at it. If the grill will not work that you can do one of 2 things. Get a new regulator/control assembly and install it or eliminate the built in regulator and adapt a separate one (though this eliminates the ability to work on small tanks). Odds are you may have a Q200 series as Weber told me there was a batch made with higher failure rates on the regulator (though they would not replace the one on my daughter's) so in her case I adapted a separate regulator and it works just great since she never wanted to run it on small tanks anyway

I started taking it apart tonight, removed, hose, regulator, lid, grate, burner, and starter. Soaked grate and burner in coke cola a couple hours and now in hot water and mr clean degreaser.
Will remove base from legs tomorrow, and be carefull with the hardware. Took pictures need to upload.

you need to get one of those welding tip cleaners. cheap. they will have a perfect size to clean out the burner holes.
if you separate the lower body from the leg brackets be very careful. there are bushings separating the two and
those are not available as separate parts. they als ma be cracked so you will need to glue them back together
till you have the two rebolted back up.

Thanks George, you were spot on, one of the bushings was cracked! I was very carefull. I was happy with the grate clean up actually used a rat tail file and cleaned each slot from both sides. It's in the oven getting seasoned right now. Burner hole's are cleaned a few were closed up pretty solid. Are there suppose to be two slots cut across the rear of the tube between the holes?
Top and bottom and cleaned up and ready for paint, did any of you paint the inside's also or just the outside?
Legs are soaking overnight.
I will take the lids into work tomorrow we have paint booths that I can use. I picked up VHT flame paint good up to 1600*
It has to be cured in 3 steps. bake at 250* 30 minutes cool 30 minutes, bake at 400* 30 minutes, cool again and then 650* will this alum hold up to 650*? if not I'll bake it at 500* a bit longer.

yes, there are slots cut in the burner. I would not paint the inside at all. I see no reason why you couldn't heat it up to 600f.

Wow I see u put some serious elbow grease into it. I saw the 1st few pics and was cringing lol.. Nice job towards the end

Wow I see u put some serious elbow grease into it. I saw the 1st few pics and was cringing lol.. Nice job towards the end

Yep, it's amazing how some people will treat their equipment. I'm enjoying bringing it back to life. Hope to get the lids painted this weekend. Could not get them into work as they are clamping down on outside jobs :(

You made that grate look like new!!! Want to see it after you paint it. Good job so far, looks like you brought it back from the dead...

Thanks Guys!
Will have to wait for it to get a bit warmer so I can paint it with VHT Flame paint, then it has to go thru a 3 step cure bake, and cool 3 times.
Don't laugh...... I checked and it fits under the lid of my Genesis so I'll be able to bake it outside. That way I won't get thrown out of the house!
I really would like to own a BLUE kettle and I always watch CL for one......but until I find one.......
I bought the VHT in Blue and a VHT Satin clear for a top coat.
So the Q will be my first Blue Weber.
I always name my grills, so if you have kids from the late 90's this will bring you back...... It will be named......"Blue's Q"
I'll keep you posted.

I rehabbed my 100 and it looked like the unit caught fire because the grease hadnt been cleaned..Cleaned up fine with a 3liter $1 cola and a little elbow grease... Great for chicken on a brick

Nice find - for only a few clams and a lot of elbow grease you've got a great little grill. Our Q120 is going on it's 7th camping season and other than cleaning out the burner holes a few times, and adding a lid thermo and cover I haven't done a thing to it for repair or replaced a part.

Last edited:
Al- great work! You've inspired me on my CL find that I got today. $75 in the KC area with cart and a couple pancake tanks. I think I need to take the burner out and do the coke soak too. Mine fired up but in cleaning the hole it is apparent there are blockages. I need to call weber to determine the model and age though it looks just like yours. Thanks for the picks and inspiration!

We finally had some temps above freezing, I put the Hi temp paint along side the wood stove to get it nice and warm. Then would dash out and shoot a coat on the lid and base of the Q.
It dried ok and kept the smell outside.
I have been putting coats of high temp clear on the lid and it may be done, will check tonight.
I'll then re-assemble and fire it up to cure the paint. I'll post up some pictures.
I may have to redo the base in the warmer weather again, not sure how the coverage of the bare spots will turn out.

Back