Country Ribs questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I've got a family pack of country ribs I'm going to cook tomorrow. This is the first time I've done it on the WSM, so I've got two questions:

1. "Pork Shoulder" Country ribs?
The package says they are pork shoulder country ribs. My understanding was that country ribs came from the pork loin. Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Slow 'n' Low vs. overcooking?
The BBQ FAQ says that country ribs are better grilled, but can be barbecued as long as they are not overcooked. I'd prefer to cook them low and slow (225 to 250*F for 3 hrs is the average I've read), rather than high and fast (325*F for 1 hr). Anyone with recommendations or experience?
(I'd prefer recommendations from experience, of course, but this being the internet I'll take what I can get...) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mike

PS: I'm going to try the recipe that Rick Bayless used in "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" last week. He was vague about the ingredients, particularly the amount of dried chiles to use in the marinade. I'm going to guestimate it, and if it works out, I'll report back in the recipe section.

Country ribs are pork butt and can be done low and slow using the same techniques, they can be grilled also, I prefer low and slow.
Cook till there tender, if use 250? for a pit temp they should do well. At 180? internal they would be like sliced butt, as you go higher they would fall apart like pulled. The times are shorter because of the smallness of the pieces.
Jim

We get two kinds of country ribs in KC. Country style from the butt and country style from the loin. I bought a package last week and there was both kinds in there. If the meat has a small rib bone at the bottom, about 1 1/2 inches long, then the meat attached has a lot less connective tissue than country ribs cut from the butt. They are great cooked at high temps for about 45 min. The butt is made up of a dozen or so small muscles held together by tough connective tissue. The country ribs cut from the butt takes much more time at low temps. I never buy the butt ribs. Why pay more for the butcher to cut up a butt and call them ribs?
If you look at the side of the country rib and there is what looks like 4 or 5 separate sections, then it needs low and slow. The loin ribs usually are only two muscles, one very small (attached to the bone) and one large loin muscle.
Hello Jim. I didn't see you at the Royal this year. You missed a good one.

David
Went Elk hunting instead this year, had an automatic to Jack also and passed on that to.
See if we can't get to the Royal next time.
Jim

Jim,
Elk is too lean. I prefer Shriners. They pull real nice and my kids like to play with the funny hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back