Corned Beef

I buy propared Corned Beef Flat and boil it up with a couple of Tablespoons of Pensey's Corned Beef Spice. My friends love it - perhaps because someone else cooked it Quau tells me that unless I am making soup I shouldn't boil meat, but whats he know? :wsm:

It is just a brisket cook it as one. Just make sure you soak it in water and rinse it a few times or it will be pretty salty.

One cup Morton's tender quick curing salt, one gallon water, 2 tbs. pickling spice, six cloves of garlic sliced. Dissolve salt in water, add spice and garlic. Cover meat and refrigerate for 7 days. I turn mine everyday. I have used rump roast for this but brisket is best.

George,

I use Alton Browns recipe; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe/index.html

You have to get some stuff online if you live in a small town as I do. If you ask for juniper berries or saltpeter at the local Piggly Wiggly, you just get a blank stare!

Using the above recipe, I will usually brine 3 or 4 briskets which I cut into 3 pieces each. I adjust the brine amount I prepare accordingly. I "burp" the air out of the freezer bags, and then place into Sterilite containers. I have to borrow refrigerator space (usually at church) and I allow them to brine for a minimum of 14 days, rather than 10. I turn them every 2-3 days, just to keep the solution mixed.

After the brine, I drain off each bag, then seal and wrap in butcher paper and freeze. When I'm ready to cook one, I will boil about 15 minutes, then simmer. I like to simmer at least 3 to 4 hours.

I have never been able to cook enough to have a leftover sandwich!

That sounds good Buddy. I love Alton Brown's recipes. I miss his "Good Eats" show, too. If I'm not mistaken, he lives in Ga. or used to. I'm going to try making corned beef soon, too.

Oh it's good for sure!

Here is where I get the saltpeter (sodium nitrate); http://shop2.chemassociates.com/ggcs.html Just be aware, big brother may track even small amounts since this is used in explosives! I know I still have to jump through hoops to buy a pound of black gun powder!

I get spices (allspice, juniper, mustard seed etc.) here; http://www.suttonsbaytrading.com/

Do you not get The Food Network on TV? Alton is there quite often. He is in Atlanta, but I am south of there and still consider that "up north!" I use many of Alton's recipes and tips. Most I modify to fit my needs. I may just for grins this year try his turkey thaw process. Thaws a frozen 14lb bird in about 6 hours!

Yes. I get the Food Network. It's the new episodes of the "Good Eats" show that I miss. The thing that I noticed about the AB recipe you posted is that it didn't require Morton's Tender Quick. I plan to buy some MTQ because I want to do Bob's bacon recipe. Morton's has a recipe for corned beef, too. So, when I do corned beef, I figured I'd blend the AB recipe with Morton's. I'll check out your links, too.

Let's see. I live right off I-20. That puts me south of Atlanta, too. I'm pretty much on the same latitude as Columbus. He's "up North" for me, too.

I'm in West Point, just north of Columbus. The REAL Columbus:). I know that ya'll like it so much, you got your own Columbus with a West Point just north of it too! My maternal links are from that area, actually Lamar county AL, but many migrated to Columbus and Memphis areas. I almost moved to Holly Springs years ago to make Oster blenders, but decided to stay here!

Yeah, I'm sure the Mortons will do a good job. As I recall when searching out recipes and such I spent a good bit of time reading about nitrite vs nitrate and health benefits/warnings and whatever. After all was said and done, I decided the nitrate only was the way to go. It gives the meat that nice red color, and reminds me of corned beef from my past!

I know that Mortons uses both nitrate and nitrite, not sure what the combination will do any different. Let me know how it comes out. I can't find Mortons here either!

Another big proponent of AB corned beef. Have used it for the past 3 years and it's fantastic. Used the saltpeter and haven't used it. Just as good without although I prefer to use it. If you have anyone that can't have nitrates don't use the saltpeter though.

Back