Corned beef

Mickey Murphy

TVWBB Member
Hey Guys,

I did last year and forget what I did. I'm goona smoke some corned beef for st patty's day and forgot what temp I brought them up too. I'm going to be doing all Point sections in the smoker. What temp? !/2 hour a pound roughly. I know its done when its done, but i was trying to get an idea of time (lb/hour). any help would be appreciated and a happy st pattys day to all.

Murph

I cooked a 5LB Flat last weekend and it turned out perfect... I grilled it indirect on my performer at 350 degrees till it hit 160 degrees (about 1 1/2 hours or so), then I foiled it and added 1/4 chicken stock so the foil was crimped tight but there was space on the sides and top (like a tent)..started to probe for tenderness about an hour in the foil and after 2 hours in the foil or so it was ready..all in all the cook was only about 4 hours..keep in mind this was high heat..if you went low and slow I would imagine it would take an 1 1/2 - 2 hours or so per pound? Other people might be able to chime in on that...(on a side note, thank you k kruger for the advice on cooking my corned beef
icon_smile.gif
)

A smoked corn beef is really pastrami. All that is needed is to put the proper rub on the corn beef, (rub recipe available via google), and smoke it to 165 degrees. For the best pastrami and corn beef steam the meat for a couple of hours and serve hot on seeded rye bread and brown mustard -- yum!

I bought a small corned beef and cabbage brisket package the other day for under $5. I am thinking this is a pretty good deal on small briskets and would like some thoughts on just buying three or four more to freeze and slow cook later. They seem like a good price. My Wife and I like brisket with veggies and brown gravy and thought I could use them for that later.

Some of the store bought ones can be a tad bit salty for my tastes if put directly on the WSM. I rinse under cold water than soak it for another 1-1/2 hrs changing the water twice.
I like to brush mine with a brown sugar,pineapple juice,butter and ginger ale glaze for the last hr.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Be aware of supermarket bought corned beef's brisket points vs flat. Point - less expensive very fatty. Flat - more expensive. Also many are pumped and are tenderized.

I went to the local supermarket looking to buy a CB flat @ 3.29. All of their points were gone and for some unknown reason the flats were priced as points(1.29). Limit was one, so that's all I got. Good deal though.

OT: I've only bought a few pre-cured ones from the supermarket - seems they like to package the fat seam as the corned beef.

Cook at like 300 or so until it's 165. And don't forget to soak in water for a few hours to get the salt out.

Thanks, I bought a flat and there was no limit at the store I was at. It was very salty though. I will buy a couple more tomorrow. I plan to soak them and vaccuum pack them before I freeze them.

Had to wqork a couple hours this morning. Leaving and on the way home. Corned beef point in the smoker by noon - low smoke - think it's about 4 - 5 lb. Plan for it to be done by 6:00. Will grill my cabbage (Raichlen method) and simmer my potatoes, carrots, and onions in a good Irish Red on the grill.
Wife is doing corned beef and cabbage traditionally - she has 2 flats.
Kids and their aunt coming for dinner and birthday celebration - step-daughter-in law's is tomorrow.
Wonder who will have more leftovers?
Speaking of birthdays, and my affinity for Classic Rock - Sly Stone, Sly and the Family Stone was 69 on March 15. John Sebastian, Lovin Spoonful is 68 today - "Hot time ... Summer in the city ... already, and it's only St.Patrick's Day. 4th in a row 80+ degree day predicted for today, all records, in the Chicago area. Cooling off to mid-70's tomorrow.

Today's my Wife's (Kelly) b-day also. She's part Scottish so the CB&C is going on the indoor appliance while I have one on the WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
My one son went downtown to see the parade with his girl, so well have plenty to eat when they get back.
Happy Saint Patricks day!

Tim

My local Kroger has a stack of Boar's Head Corned Beef Briskets for $1.99/lb marked down from $7.99/lb. The ones I loooked at looked like flats. Can I stick a few in the freezer? the price is hard to beat for the quality (love me some Boar's Head) and the price. They are nicely pack in the cryovac packaging with the spice pack there.

Back