Corky's

I usually eat at the Corky's in the Memphis airport when I make a connection there. I think that their pulled pork is suprisingly good for airport food. Compare to the Interstate BBQ (also in the airport) pulled pork that I thought was pretty bad. I have to think that the actual restaurant will be much better than the airport location, so Corky's might be worth a stop.

Hopefully someone else' experience is more relevant than mine.

Corky's cooks on an industrial scale. They have their sauce made for them now (well, it's been for quite a while). They have a big cooking facility out near the airport that supplies their mail order biz, grocery distribution biz, and the restaurants (though some cooking still probably goes on at the Poplar location--it did anyway--they get stuff from the plant).

It's okay barbecue.

When I lived in NW Arkansas, they had a couple of Corky's restaurants (they were only in business for about 1.5 years before closing). I agree with Kevin, it was okay BBQ. I have had Interstate BBQ at the Memphis airport a couple times...not bad, but the actual restaurants in the city are better.

Bob - we have a Corkys close by - you can do better!
icon_wink.gif

Very true. True, really, about any accomplished backyard barbecuer vs. any Q joint I've ever been to (and I've been to many hundreds). On a scale, the highest rating I think I've ever given a commercial restaurant, joint, or stand is maybe 'good', i.e., a step or two higher than 'okay'.

I must admit I have bought their ribs in the ref section at the grocery store when I was jonesing for ribs but had no time....in 30-45 in the oven they are ok but obviously mass produced. And At like $16.99 per slab they aren't a deal either.

I have not bought commercial Q at least since I discovered this sight...it is just too darn easy to turn out amazing product using the approaches I have learned here.....today was CB, smoked chicken and a homemade fattie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soliman:
Well I didnt care for Corkys at all. I did enjoy interstate bbq. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I lived in Memphis 27 years and I never did care for Corkys, there are a dozen places in Memphis that has better Q.

Same here. I lived in Memphis 27 years and I never did care for Corkys, there are a dozen places in Memphis that has better Q.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Hopefully he didn't stop at Corky's. I wish I had noticed this earlier, that place is terrible.

Interstate is better than Corkys, but neither is too great.

If you're in Memphis, stop at Blues City Cafe, get the ribs and be done with it.

I was married in Memphis in '91...my wife is from there...back in the day...Corky's was good...and then they tried to franchise and go bigger...I tried it a couple years back...their Q is now average to below average...what a shame.

Back