Cook'n on a Genny 1000

BobW

TVWBB Fan
I have to say that while I love the robust and spartan design of the Genesis 1000 over most of the grills available today...I did have resevations about the East/West burner configuration. the grills ive had in the past with multiple burners have been North/South until now. with that said....and after several weeks of cooking on my restored 1999 1000...i think im a convert :D! its all about the ZONEs and there are 3 BIG ones on the 1000! last night was a mixed grill with Med heat up front, burner off under the middle, and Low in the rear. really gave me lots of room to work, and utilizing the warming trays, kept all the veggies and protiens cooked to everyones liking and pulled at the same time. think im gona like this setup!
zukes_zpsc2iihjfx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bob, I've been wrestling with East-West burner cooking myself since my Genesis 1100 is my first gas grill. I think I'm getting the hang of it though.

I've felt like it's hard to get a good indirect zone with the next zone being so close. But I'm doing pretty well now thinking 3-dimensionally and using the warming basket and grate to extend the zone in the back upward.

PvlQUiG.jpg

NBUUKHAl.jpg

Outstanding Kelly! the 3D thinking works for me as well. looks like your getting it down to a science! hoping I can follow the same path ;)

Once you understand and embrace the EW design there is nothing else like it. I have both types but when I REALLY want "zoned" cooking as for doing ribs and such my Genesis II is ALWAYS the fall back grill. Only prying my cold dead fingers will get it away from me.

I have a 1999 1000LX and I really like the E/W burners, as a mater of fact I went and bought a 2009 E320 NG off of GL because I wanted the E/W burners. The draw back is you loose one side for the controls vs. the up front controls of the N/S.

That has always been the biggest complaint why people said they'd never buy one. The E/W design is more costly to make which is one reason I think Weber switched.

Gett'n some more practice in. a load of Korean BBq beef 'Bulgoogi' and a spatchcocked chicken and mixed veggies

image_zpsk9ng0htk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsfwuquzxp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the chicken was done on a Genisis that a friend saw on the curb for the trash pickup across the street. he asked if I thought it was a good grill :). i told him i would be right over. we pushed it across the street, grabbed a can of propane off of his patio heater and hooked it up, and it touched right off! wiped it down, went inside to see what he had to test it with, and a few hours (and beers) later we all sat down to dinner. this genny he found didnt require any thing other than a little soap and water to put it back in operation. Still cant understand why some one would throw it out, but it takes all kinds to make this big ball spin :)

I love bulgoogi! What sauce or recipe did you use. I made it so much a few years ago my wife got sick of it.

What a great find on the curbside genesis.

Eric, i wish i could give you a detailed recipe for the Bulgoogi, but my wife is Korean and my mother in law lives with us (she's wonderful btw) and when i ask her about the marinade she says she doesnt have a measurable recipe, and it changes from time to time depending on what she has on hand. its always awesome. but one of her secrets is she uses CocaCola instead of sugar. its basically, soy sauce, minced garlic, grated ginger, coke, rice vinegar and sesame oil in varying amounts. she just throws it together, ive never seen her measure anything, but its real good!

Thanks! I may look for a similar recipe. We usually used whatever we grabbed at the Asian grocery store.

Back