Cooking four pork shoulders

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
I’m planning to cook four pork shoulders, about 30 +/- lb s, for a coed baby shower for my daughter, with 40 people invited. I’ve never cooked four at a time, only two, which averaged about 15-16 hours per cook at 225. Will cooking four add any appreciable time to the cook, and if so, about how many hours? I want to make sure they are done, rested, pulled and cleaned up before people start showing up.

The mass of the extra meat won't add a significant amount of time for the cook. Maybe an hour or so if you don't peek.

Put two on each grate then rotate top for bottom somewhere around the halfway point and they should all finish at roughly the same time.

HTH - Ken

If you maintain your usual cooking temperature, then I don't think your time for cooking four should be much different than the time for cooking two. If you normally cook two on the top grate only, and now you'll have two more on the bottom grate, then the total cook time may vary due to the temperature difference between the top and bottom grates (that is, 225 on the top grate might only be 215 on the bottom so the two on the bottom will cook more slowly than you are accustomed to). Ken's suggestion about rotating them halfway through should take care of that. Also, with twice the weight of cold meat starting off, you may well have to run your vents more widely open (and burn more charcoal) in order to maintain your usual cooking temp.

when i cook 4 at a time, i do use more fuel and run all vents open. takes me 14 hours to hit 190 internal temp of the meat.

A thought on rotating top to bottom.

I've cooked 4 butts several times and even 6 on a few occasions. I've found that rotating is more trouble than it's worth. Having the cooker open for that long plays havoc with temperature control. I think it's better to just leave it alone.

In my experimentation, the longer you leave the cooker alone, the less notable any temp differential gets. On my WSM anyway, after 5-6 hours of being undisturbed, the temp differential from lid to top grate to bottom grate might be 5 or 6 degrees and it will stay that way for a long time if the cooker isn't opened.

I'd put the 2 smallest butts on the bottom and just let her go. Just my 2 cents.

Lee,

I agree with you. When I do four butts at a time they all seem to get done at the same time. If not simply pull the top two out and let the bottom two continue to cook until they're done to your liking.

I agree with everyone here. Also remember that outdoors temperature can have an impact as well. If it is cold outside you will be likely to use more fuel. But since you are in Cali that may not be a problem.

I've done four butts on several occassions. I too think rotating is a waste of effort. I do mine a little hotter, 260 range usually, and have had no appreciable difference in cook times with 4 versus two. If you do an allnighter, you can have them well rested for the party.

i agree that it should not be an issue. like Lee said, put the smaller ones on the bottom and don't worry about it

Using a Piedmont pan, I find that the bottom grate get more direct heat and rotating them makes for more even cooking.

If the butts go on cold, you may need to add an hour or two...plus add the time it takes to pull two additional butts if pulling 'em.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I love this forum! As far as maintain temperature, I run a Stoker with Stokerlog and sand, and can maintain within a few degrees of 225. In cold, windy, rainy weather, I cover the WSM up with my Reflectix smoker shed. I have no problem “peeking”. You can tell everything that is happening just by looking at the StokerLog. The first time I open the lid is when the pork hits 180, when I start testing for doneness every hour after that. For the first time cooking four, I think I’ll try the smaller shoulders on the bottom grill and use a temperature probe in the largest and smallest.

Again, thank you all for all the great info and being willing to share it!

I've never done 4 butts at once, but I've done 2 xtra-large ones a few times. What I noticed the most was the temp spike when the meat started to gather momentum. It might be a good idea to set the butts out and let them warm up before you put them on. I did this last time I cooked (2 10lb butts) and the spike was only about 10 degrees. I also like the reccomendation of bring temps up closer to 250 or 260. That will get you out of the danger zone faster and save you some time with the cook. Good luck and make sure you get some pics.

I have done four butts many times i allways put the smaller of the two on the bottom shelf and never rotate them

Last summer I did 3 butts on top grate and brisket on bottom grate.

I placed the 3 butts upright and used 5-6 bamboo skewers and skewered between the butts to give some stability. It worked much better than trying to squeeze 3 butts on top grate.

I think I could have fit a fourth upright however it would have been very packed on that top grate.

Hey Bill - curious to know how the butt over brisket turned out. Did the drippings onto the brisket affect it positively? Wondering how that might have affected the flavor of the brisket overall?

I can't believe no one has comment on this. From where I come from, Men don't do Baby Showers or Wedding Showers...I don't care what you call it.

The Men should let the Women have their fun, and have the cook somewhere else, where the Men can be Men.

Now I'm stepping off the soap box.
icon_smile.gif

Mr. Brock, welcome to the modern age. This is how they do it now. This is how my daughter wants it, so she gets it. She wants her Dad, husband, brother and brother–in-law there. Besides, all the Men will be Men out back with the smoker, keg and Margareta machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Men should let the Women have their fun, and have the cook somewhere else, where the Men can be Men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL, I cracked-up when I read this. As for me, I'd rather be where the broads are, much easier on the eyes. All joking aside, I've actually been to several "couples" showers. As long as there's booze and good food, count me in!

Back