Cooking butt at 300 degrees

Will R.

TVWBB Fan
The search option doesn't seem to be working (I know the site was going through an upgrade).

Two Boston butts have been on for about 3 hrs. I was gone for about 1 1/2 hrs. and the temp. was about 300 degrees. I figured with the wind and the temp. dropping it would fall a little. When I got back it was still 300.

I thought I remembered reading on this board, or perhaps another, that butts can be cooked at or close to 300 with no problem.

Can someone confirm this?

I think it would depend more on at what point in the cook the temp went to 300°. If it was early on, you'd risk hitting final internal temp before fat rendered and connective tissue broke down. If later, I can't see it being that big a problem.

I sometimes speed up a butt cook-- without foiling-- just by letting the water pan deplete substantially. The temp rises to 275° for the last couple hours, and the butt finishes faster with no discernable ill effects.

Thanks for the response Doug.

I'm still trying to get it lowered, but it's not falling fast enough. I was just wondering if I can't get it dropped fast enough if it would turn out poorly.

I have the ring filled to capacity using the Minion Method.

Don't be afraid to close your bottom vents completely, if necessary. Perhaps you started with too much lit charcoal, or did not control the temps (backing off the vents) soon enough on the way up.

Ruined? Probably not. Butts can take a lot of abuse and still turn out good.

I think it just ran too high from the start and I just assumed it would drop. I've almost shut off the bottom vents and added some more water (using WSM pan) and the temp is now about 260.

Good thinking on giving the fire more mass to work against. With the MM, you have to start dialing back when it gets to around 200-210°. That may seem too early, but, if you continue to give it all the air the bottom vents will allow, it will get away from you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
With the MM, you have to start dialing back when it gets to around 200-210°. That may seem too early, but, if you continue to give it all the air the bottom vents will allow, it will get away from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in too much of a hurry to start it because I knew I had to leave at a certain time. So I didn't pay close enough attention to details. Normally I'm more careful about setting the temp.

Patience is a virtue young grasshopper.

Fortunately butt can take a higher temp. I've done nice well-fatted ones that high from the outset with no ill effect to the meat. I think you lose a bit in smoke adherence and smoke ring though so not my first choice. Leaner butts or leaner cuts, you run the risk Doug described above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Leaner butts or leaner cuts, you run the risk Doug described above. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did trim a bit off, so I guess I'll see when it's all over.

Appearancewise, it looks nice with a good bark forming (or formed). I just basted them with apple juice and the lid temp. is at 250. Internal temp. is 168.5 (I checked in several places and it measured 165, 168, 170, 171).

UPDATE:As of 1 a.m. I am done pulling. As I sampled, some pieces were moist, some were not as moist. Every once in awhile I would get ahold of a piece of bark that a clump of rub on it (throat and eyes started to burn). I guess having it at a high temp. from the beginning and removing it at 191 degrees played a part. I'll see what the family thinks tomorrow...er..today.

Thanks Doug and Kevin for the help!!!

Back