Cooking at 5000 ft

Tom O

TVWBB Fan
I cooked some beef ribs yesterday. Using the standard startup, the temperature went up to ab out 300 and after a half hour started dropping. I had to open the vents and managed to keep the lid at 240 adjusting as the day went on. I really have to keep a log and will do so in the future.

Is this behavior normal at these altitudes?

I have only done 6 hour cooks and would like to do a brisket for Memorial Day. I worry about the ash buildup. In addition to the vent adjusting I had to stir up the coals several times. Today I see a lot of ashes. I used 2
Weber chimney of Kingsford for the bbq.

The ribs were great....tom

At altitude it takes more fuel to make up for the lack of oxygen. You may want to consider a mix of Kingsford and lump. The lump will help keep pit temp up and the kingsford will you some lenghten burn time.

Mix the two fill fuel ring, start with about 1/2 chimney of lump pour over the top and add wood for smoke. Watch the pit temp on the way up, you will have more vent control to use.

You may have to a fuel refill, in the morning if you do a over night cook. Wind is an enemy, protect from it.

At altitude meat can cook slower also, just need to adjust for it.

Jim

Back