Cook Time for Two 5 lb Shoulders vs One 10 lb

Grim

TVWBB Member
I usually cook larger 7-9 pound pork shoulders for pulled pork. The store only had two smaller portions 4.5 - 5 pounds today.

I am trying to figure out my approximate cook time. Usually it's about 2 hours per pound for me. Is that going to change by having two smaller cuts on the smoker at the same time? Do I have to increase my cook time because I'll have about 10 total pounds of meat, or will each portion cook at the normal rate.

Thanks. We're having a lunch party tomorrow, so I don't want to miscalculate when I put the meat on.

G.

You should be about 10 hours than with 2 hours per pound. Are you putting one on the top rack and one on the bottom or both just on the top rack? 10 hours is if they are both on the top rack. If you put one on the bottom it will cook up a little slower in my experience. Good luck!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grim:

I am trying to figure out my approximate cook time. Usually it's about 2 hours per pound for me. Is that going to change by having two smaller cuts on the smoker at the same time? Do I have to increase my cook time because I'll have about 10 total pounds of meat, or will each portion cook at the normal rate.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep as Clark said. You do not add the weight of the 2 butts together. Take the weight of the larger one X your normal 2 hrs per lb to get a finish time.
icon_smile.gif

Back