Converting S460 to Propane & adding side burner

I think it's because other than the orifices themselves, the gas valves are the same no matter LP or NG. I think it's pretty clear in all the cases of Weber gas grill conversions gone wrong that it's not the same case with these Weber valves.
I had to do a NG to LP conversion - swapping out the orifices with the Whirlpool supplied LP ones - when we went from electric and installed a gas range (that I guess now they want to ban!). I think it has to be that the valves are "continuous" for a gas range. (I also think the owner's manual had so many warnings from Whirlpool that unless you brought in a licensed technician to swap the orifices Whirlpool would cite your failure to comply with their instructions.

I believe Broilmaster grills, at least the older ones, had the same kind of continuous valves, so they were happy to sell you to swap the orifices. As Larry has noted in some discussions, some Weber grills have continuous valves, while some don't. Without taking them apart you would be very hard pressed to know.

Why is it then when you buy a gas range or cooktop they supply the orifices to convert from NG to LP and they show you how to do it?
Is it Weber that makes it so hard or are all gas grills the same.?
Excellent question. Because all that’s being swapped, usually, are the screw in orifices. I recco you read the KA commercial style oven reviews online of people converting NG to propane units. Horrible experiences.

Weber going out of their way to try and prevent you from purchasing a new manifold to do a conversion is taking it too far in my opinion. If they were that afraid of liability, the mere act of changing your burner tubes would terrify them. I can easily picture someone screwing that up.
Burner tubes do not alter the flow of gas. Its a straight replacement.

Odds are unless things looked REALLY suspicious likely not at all. Think about it. Using the above analogy (which I FULLY get to a point), ANY repair you undertook on a grill i.e. replacing a burner(s) with perhaps "non oem" or a gas regulator with "non-oem" would fall within this type of thing. IOW putting in parts not made by or for the specific product.
Also if this was the case why then would so many other companies even go so far as to include items to perform this type of service? And every DIY project you do would be under severe scrutiny.
Or take my own home. IN my case a so called LICENSED electrician did wiring in my house that would not even pass the amateur sniff test. And likely in many more homes in my sub as I can show you at least SIX different homes that had severe electrical fires in the walls due to slip shod workmanship. If an adjuster were to see these things how is a homeowner supposed to prove THEY did not cause it?
Yeah, I'm sure in SOME cases where things are blatantly caused like this i.e. using a deep fryer in your garage in burning your house down when you drop in a whole frozen turkey.
And likely then you'd be in danger for ANY DIY project you under took.
If the cause of a fire is a grill, you can guarantee they will be examining that grill. First response would be to go after the grill manufacturer for product liability. Then the manufacturer will tear down the grill and pass their discovery to the insurance company because the findings would relieve them of their product liability. Everyone gets called to the table on the claims. No stone goes unturned.

Last edited:
so in this scenrio, I purchased a grill on Facebook Marketplace, and have no receipts for the grill or know what was done to it before hand. how is the insurance company/fire department investigators tell where/how the grill was modified if the manufacturer states it was modified? They can't.

I wonder what happened to my neighbor down the street a few years back when the whole back side of their house was burned up by their Genesis 2000 grill? Was a grease fire I am sure as I saw the remnants of the grill. I am close to 100% sure they never cleaned it. They told me they did not know. So, IDK I think Brett, while you are likely correct (I have no reason to doubt you). I also think it's in very extreme cases. In any case I personally am not gonna lose any sleep over my converted Q320 as I know how to do it correctly.
Then too you've got YouTube clowns who complain "oh my grill cannot get to nuclear melt down heat to properly sear my steak" so they hog out the jets or mod the regulator to high pressure. There are some on these very boards who I've seen describe doing both.
We can beat this thing to death. We won't get anywhere.
My house was a fire trap due to the clowns who wired it. So given what it was like and passed all the county inspections and was signed off on, the LAST thing I am gonna do is worry about my grill due to my conversion.

Well, if I wind up hooking up to NG, you can bet I will be doing a manifold swap on my Genesis frankengrill. Geeez, I don't think I have a NG manifold for a Genesis 1000 though. I guess I better keep my eyes out for a NG Genny 1000. :mad:

Well, if I wind up hooking up to NG, you can bet I will be doing a manifold swap on my Genesis frankengrill. Geeez, I don't think I have a NG manifold for a Genesis 1000 though. I guess I better keep my eyes out for a NG Genny 1000. :mad:
Yep, that's the only way to get one anymore. That's another part that moved into the NLA category recently. Of course, I think that's the only way you would try and get one anyway. I can't picture you paying 100 plus dollars for a part you could get much cheaper from a used grill. I know I wouldn't.

so in this scenrio, I purchased a grill on Facebook Marketplace, and have no receipts for the grill or know what was done to it before hand. how is the insurance company/fire department investigators tell where/how the grill was modified if the manufacturer states it was modified? They can't.
Part numbers and serial numbers. Do as you wish. I wouldn’t ever tell you what you can or should do. That’s not my jam.

so to throw a little grease on the fire of this discussion, I took my new to me S470 panel off and removed one of the valves from the manifold.

The valve body has the same exact casting numbers on both the natural gas and propane valves. I'm betting that the valves are identical except for the orifices.

I've decided to disassemble the S460 down to every little piece, and keep the parts since virtually everything is the same between the two, so if I have parts that rust out later or break I'll have plenty of spares including the rotisserie motor, grill light, and the smoker box as well as burner tubes and even the fire box. I'm in my late 50's and if I save all the parts this could well be the last grill I ever have.

Has anyone ever thought of starting a weber grill salvage? There are enough of them for sale on the local FB and craigslist. With parts going NLA, someone might be able to make some money buying them up and parting them out.

so to throw a little grease on the fire of this discussion, I took my new to me S470 panel off and removed one of the valves from the manifold.

The valve body has the same exact casting numbers on both the natural gas and propane valves. I'm betting that the valves are identical except for the orifices.

I've decided to disassemble the S460 down to every little piece, and keep the parts since virtually everything is the same between the two, so if I have parts that rust out later or break I'll have plenty of spares including the rotisserie motor, grill light, and the smoker box as well as burner tubes and even the fire box. I'm in my late 50's and if I save all the parts this could well be the last grill I ever have.

Has anyone ever thought of starting a weber grill salvage? There are enough of them for sale on the local FB and craigslist. With parts going NLA, someone might be able to make some money buying them up and parting them out.
That is not an indicator. The casting number only shows PART of what you suspect. As the bodies ARE the same. It's the internal spool valve and orifices that change and that is not indicated by the casting since the internal parts are all basically the same except for the main orifices and the metering holes in the spools. Don't be fooled

There are guys on eBay that will sell their leftover grill parts. I think they are mostly hobbyist types that just end up with useable parts from the trashed grills they collect. I've been there myself, you go buy an old grill only to get it home and realize it's in worse shape than you thought.

I see a couple of them up in the Minneapolis area. I have a fairly good stash of mostly silver b parts, but I have accumulated them for my own use in rehabs. As you say, most parts are NLA and if they are still available, they are way too expensive to be able to make money on rehabs.

Back