Considering Genesis Smart Grill. Some questions.

Edward Lee

TVWBB Member
I’m thinking about a Genesis gas grill to replace Kenmore that 3 burner + sear burner that needs some work.

The Genesis 335 models seem like a nice upgrade that’s actually bit bigger since, from what I can understand, the sear zone can function like a standard grill area whereas with my current Kenmore, the right side of the grill area only operates as a sear zone. That sound correct?

I’m also leaning towards the Smart model. I have a bad habit of sometimes forgetting to cover my grill. Can the Smart components withstand being out in the rain and other elements?

What is the difference between the porcelain and stainless steel grates? Is one better than the other?

Is the stainless steel lid much a big upgrade over the black lid? I actually like the look of the black better (at least online, haven’t compared in person).

Is there a way to add lighting similar to what the 435 model has?

Any other comments or recommendations regarding the Genesis?

Thanks!

Hi Edward, a couple of things…

The lids with color are good. Porcelain enamel and last a long time.

Porcelain enamel cooking surface is ok. The stainless is more durable. Both cook good.

You can add a handle light.

I prefer the black over the stainless steel too. The porcelain will be easier to clean and maintain imo. I don's see the stainless hood as an upgrade, just an up charge.

The smart feature is nice to have on a new grill. I like tech.

I prefer cast iron cooking grates but not the porcelain coated ones. I would go with stainless over the coated ones. 🍻

Thanks for the replies! Looks like all the black lid models come with the porcelain grates. Sounds like that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Selectable grate option might be nice.

Any other comments on the weather resistance of the smart components?

The EX-335 and EPX-335 (black lid) appear to be sold out in most places. Looks like Amazon might have one available, but that’s all I could find.

Assuming the smart components are battery powered you would need to watch the battery from corrosion at the contact points. That’s also true for your ignition battery and circuit boards. Covering the grill doesn’t prevent moisture buildup in the unconditioned outdoors.

That said, Weber’s been using batteries since about 2008 without any major issues

I saw the $899 model in my Ace in their special Indigo color. If I was buying new, that would be my first realistic choice. Hits the important points - especially the thick stainless grates and sear burner - but keeps the price below $1,000 by avoiding the less necessary. I would take that Indigo hood over stainless any day.

Any reasons in particular that folks seem down on the Smart features? Digital display with grill temperature, probes, fuel level, etc… seems like it would be handy.

Any reasons in particular that folks seem down on the Smart features? Digital display with grill temperature, probes, fuel level, etc… seems like it would be handy.
I don't think anyone is really down on them for their own sake. I've been cooking on a Weber gas grill for over 25 yrs now and never once wished I could somehow incorporate staring at my phone into the process. I just don't need it and am certainly not willing to pay more for it. Just me perhaps, but I wouldn't buy a grill with a side burner either. I just don't want it or need it. Now, 9mm stainless steel grates? Yep, sign me up!

Instead of the built-in electronics, I'd rather invest in a high quality remote thermometer rather than one built into the grill.

A thermoworks smoke for example, or a Signals if you wanted to watch temps on your phone.

I appreciate all of the perspectives! It isn’t so much the smart phone connection that appealed to me (although that would be nice), it was more so the digital display on the grill itself. I do have a cheap remote temp probe that I use when smoking on my WSM.

I use the side burner on my current grill periodically. Almost always to cook bacon so as not to stink up the house.

@Steve Hoch , would you say more about the benefits of 9mm SS grates? Is it durability? Cleanability? Something better about the cooking?

I’m also now a little intrigued by the idea of the E-435 four-burner with the half size griddle insert. Even with the griddle insert in, that would leave me enough room to grill for my family of 4 without having to swap out the griddle for the grates.

benefits of 9mm SS grates? Is it durability? Cleanability? Something better about the cooking?
All of the above. After living with CI and really good SS grates I will take SS hands down every day of the week over CI. If you want lines they give you plenty of lines, they clean up easily no special care needed. Just 110% better in every aspect.
Re electronics on gas grill. MEH. Get yourself a ThermoPro Temp Spike. They work great. App for the phone. I would rather have a phone app than a separate receiver i.e. the ThermoWorks Smoke. I always have my phone in my pocket and I find I constantly lose place of the Smoke's receiver. If you're lucky enough you can find the Temp Spike on sale at Sam's $19.99. If not they have a new version and there are coupons out there for 50% off on that.
There is no advantage to electronics on the gasser i.e. the Genesis as they cannot "do anything" as they can on a pellet grill or as on the newer Summit which can actually "do stuff". On the Genesis just more things to go wrong or replace batteries in.
Go for the better innards if you have the choice

I am with most of these guys. SS over CI as my personal choice. And I highly recommend both a quality instant read and remote thermometer over any electronics built into the grill. The Indigo is a great color too.

Back