connecting from outside network

Neil C

I can connect from inside my network no problem. Right now I reset everything and have lan only setup. I registered the domain name mybbq.me with my hosting service and told it my server was located at my routers IP address. then I forwarded port 80 from my cable modem to my network router. On my network router I forwarded port 80 to my heatermeter. I have the heatermeter programed to be a dhcp client and my network router set to make it a static address. If I am connected to my local network I can go to mybbq.me and see my heatermeter no problem. If I try to connect from outside my network (android phone on 4g network with wifi off) It can't connect. So from within my network it does get pointed through both routers and to the heatermeter but then I'm guessing that it connects locally and its the sending data back through the two routers that is the hangup I am having. Anyone have suggestions?????

to clarify my setup
internet --- cox cable modem/router------lynksys router----- heatermeter

Last edited:
Maybe your ISP or one of your routers has port 80 blocked? You could try adding another port to your HM and forward that port instead.

how would i add another port to the HM? I just connected directly to my cable router and if I forward a different outside port to 80 internal at my heater meter it worked. but now I have to type that port after the mybbq.me that I registered. I was hoping to have it nice and simple with just the address.

how would i add another port to the HM? I just connected directly to my cable router and if I forward a different outside port to 80 internal at my heater meter it worked. but now I have to type that port after the mybbq.me that I registered. I was hoping to have it nice and simple with just the address.

Then it seems its your cable modem not allowing incoming port 80, if so then you are SOL as far as not needing to add the port to your domain name. Now that you are getting through your cable modem to your HM on the lan, why don't you put the HM back on the wifi and setup the forwarding again for cable modem-linksys-hm and see if it works. As long as the Linksys doesnt have a problem with port 80 you should be able to keep that port internally, if it craps out on your then I would forward the same external port you are using from the cable modem to the linksys, then if you have the option to forward from that port to port 80 on the linksys that should work, if the linksys wont let you have a different incoming and outgoing port then you would need to use the method linked above to add the extra listening port to your HM.

I can connect from inside my network no problem. Right now I reset everything and have lan only setup. I registered the domain name mybbq.me with my hosting service and told it my server was located at my routers IP address. then I forwarded port 80 from my cable modem to my network router. On my network router I forwarded port 80 to my heatermeter. I have the heatermeter programed to be a dhcp client and my network router set to make it a static address. If I am connected to my local network I can go to mybbq.me and see my heatermeter no problem. If I try to connect from outside my network (android phone on 4g network with wifi off) It can't connect. So from within my network it does get pointed through both routers and to the heatermeter but then I'm guessing that it connects locally and its the sending data back through the two routers that is the hangup I am having. Anyone have suggestions?????

to clarify my setup
internet --- cox cable modem/router------lynksys router----- heatermeter

I'm pretty sure that this is your problem:

"have the heatermeter programed to be a dhcp client and my network router set to make it a static address"

IF your Linksys is handling IP addresses, your Cox doesn't know where to send the traffic. Is there a reason why you are running two routers and have the Linksys handling DHCP ?

I'm pretty sure that this is your problem:

"have the heatermeter programed to be a dhcp client and my network router set to make it a static address"

IF your Linksys is handling IP addresses, your Cox doesn't know where to send the traffic. Is there a reason why you are running two routers and have the Linksys handling DHCP ?

Had my cox router setup to forward the port to my linksis router then from there to my HM. Works this way with my Network Hard Drive on a different port. Ralph is correct. My cable router must not like forwarding port 80 even though it let me set it up and clearly says that no ports are blocked.

I have it set up this way because my cable router doesn't do static IP's and it is only wireless g/b and doesn't support gigabit transfer rate. I use it like an old school cable modem that could only connect to one device. My linksys is my main router and has wireless N and gigabit transfer rates. I have two media center PC's, a network hard drive, two chromecast and a network video capture device connected to an hd antenna on my network so fast transfers are important to me. Up till now I have had no issues with this setup I can access my network HD or my other computers from outside my network no problem.

It's prob your ISP that is blocking port 80, not the router specifically. At any rate, you should be able to get away with using the alternate port and forwarding to your linksys. I know it's not ideal, but not the end of the world to add a port to the end of your address when accessing the HM from the internet.

Back