Competition for the WSM

Luis L.

Banned
Maverick will be selling a competition smoker that has similar features to the WSM. It appears to have two grates and a water pan.

MSRP $360

Info

215695_125970637477669_111579368916796_193903_4152094_n.jpg

Anything that gets more people into smoking meat is fine by me. And in 45-50 years, when my WSM is worn out, I might take a look at one of these - if there are any still around.
icon_biggrin.gif

Costs about the same as the 22-1/2" WSM. No porcelain enamel finish inside and out. Made in China. Not sure if this is WSM competition.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Costs about the same as the 22-1/2" WSM. No porcelain enamel finish inside and out. Made in China. Not sure if this is WSM competition.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WSM porcelain enamel finish is a BIG deal, and we haven't even gotten to the design or quality of fit in the components.

I actually made my first UDS with a door that fit pretty tight, so don't think that's a big deal. You'll just spend more time making the door than all of the rest of the drum. Anyway, I just got tired of spray painting the ugly thing and cleaning it out. Nope, if there's competition for the wsm, this isn't it.

Thew WSM looks to be built a lot better. How do other companies get away with creating a similar unit, (2 grates, water pan)? Is this set up not copy righted by Weber?

Wow a barrel with holes, nothing but junk. No porcelain finish if lucky and kept indoors when not in use year around might last 2 years.

Back