Competition Brisket Practice Run

James J

TVWBB Super Fan
We did a practice run on brisket for an upcoming competition. Here are a few pictures of our process. We use a “brisket caddy” to hold the shape for trimming and injection. We save the trimmings for brisket burgers, but that’s a whole other post! Let’s start with the results…
IMG_4026.jpeg

And now the prep and cook…
IMG_4042.jpegIMG_4043.jpegIMG_4044.jpegIMG_3996.jpegIMG_4014.jpegIMG_4002.jpeg

Looks great but I feel cheated. No point? That’s the best part.

I get it that competition is only a specific section of any protein. But if I served that to my guests they’d all be asking, “where’s the beef?”

Hope you guys win. I’m sure the burgers are exceptional. I love a 50/50 brisket chuck burger.

Looks great but I feel cheated. No point? That’s the best part.

I get it that competition is only a specific section of any protein. But if I served that to my guests they’d all be asking, “where’s the beef?”

Hope you guys win. I’m sure the burgers are exceptional. I love a 50/50 brisket chuck burger.
Agreed, but I have to play to my audience. Yes to the burnt ends in most places, but not up here. If I put it in the box, I’m judged buy it… And then a couple judges say “Oh my goodness it’s too fatty.”
I save the point for the family!

Looking good James. What size did you start with? With the thickness on that flat I'm assuming that's the point of the caddy to help it plump up a bit.

We can not specifically judge Burnt Ends ! Rules do not call out Burnt Ends. Only that brisket may be presented sliced, DICED, pulled or chopped.
And besides, I feel that Burnt Ends have evolved into something they were not originally intended. As the story goes, they were the scraps, if you wish..., that were not included in the restaurant's brisket offerings since they were rendered and overcooked to the point they would melt in your mouth. What we see now is just large diced brisket, some even having spent some time cooked past what the flat was cooked...

Looking good James. What size did you start with? With the thickness on that flat I'm assuming that's the point of the caddy to help it plump up a bit.
That was a little over 16 pounds to start and it absorbed 2 cups of injection. I left it in the caddy overnight to help hold its shape. Feel free to PM me and I’ll share what little I know! Great to see you’re getting back into Competition! Love your set up and the Jambo!

We can not specifically judge Burnt Ends ! Rules do not call out Burnt Ends. Only that brisket may be presented sliced, DICED, pulled or chopped.
And besides, I feel that Burnt Ends have evolved into something they were not originally intended. As the story goes, they were the scraps, if you wish..., that were not included in the restaurant's brisket offerings since they were rendered and overcooked to the point they would melt in your mouth. What we see now is just large diced brisket, some even having spent some time cooked past what the flat was cooked...
Always appreciate the words of wisdom! Lisa normally makes the boxes, but I was rushed to throw a practice run together… If I clean the box up, can I get a 9?!

James... I'd give that box of scrumptious looking slices of brisket a 9 any day, just as presented. !!!
Excellent Job, James and Team !!!

The brisket certainly looks good. Only suggestion I have is when boxing, make sure the slices are in order as you sliced them, The one in the back is noticeably smaller than the one in the front. Also some slices appear to be flip flopped, the hump on the left and some the hump on the right. Make those slices flow evenly from back to front.
Could save you a point or two.

Scott... Are you a KCBS CBJ ? If so, you would know that we CBJs do not judge presentation, only the appearance of the meat ! And if you are a judge, have you taken the KCBS JCUP ?

Back