Competition Briquette's

danny s

I have a Weber Kettle, and WSM. Over the years, I have used Lump, Kingsford regular, Kingsford Matchlight, pellets, etc. And, have always had pretty good reviews about my food from friends and neighbors. Not an inflated ego, just setting the tone for my question.

I just purchased two large bags of Kingsford Competition Briquettes and a new chimney. I have used no lighter fluid (except the matchlights in the past). Well, ever since I bought them I have been getting complaints about my food tasting "Fuely" and people saying that I am not burning off the lighter fluid enough. It happened with Turkey, chicken, Ribs and Steak. I have been perplexed, and the only thing I can think is that it is the new briquettes in some way.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I am doing wrong? Or has anyone heard these complaints about the Competition Briquettes before?

Never heard that complaint before with kingsford comp. I use it frequently because Costco had it cheap this year. Have you changed anything else in your methods? I've never used Kingsford original... Maybe Comp has a slightly stronger initial odor and you need to wait a couple minutes longer after starting to out meat on? My experience is the charcoal "taste" that people don't like relative to lump is mostly the initial few minutes of burn. After that, it's somewhat neutral - lump addicts still don't like it as much, but clearly nothing anyone should be complaining about you using lighter fluid.

I agree with you. That is why I thought it was weird. I have not changed anything else. And, after the first time I noticed it, I made sure and waited until everything was very grey.

I also wrote to Kingsford. Boy, they were nice. They want some of the briquettes, but they said they had not heard of this either. They also said that it should not happen at all.

So, I am going to maybe do a simple clean of the whole thing and then give her one more shot this weekend. Ya really don't need an excuse to slap on something on the grill.
icon_biggrin.gif
thanks

Danny, I have been using the Kingsford competition a lot lately. partly because the Lowes by me has it on clearance for 3.98 a bag. I like it for grilling, it burns very hot and has less ash than the blue. I have never noticed any kind of odor of lighter fluid.

The Kingsford Matchlight I have never used, but I can tell you that it's Probably saturated in lighter fluid.

Danny,the only thing I can think of is when you used the matchlight,it left a petroleum "scent" in your equipment. The Comp K is designed to burn cleaner and only have natural binders to give a cleaner taste. With that light of a charcoal taste,maybe the matchlight remnants are the culprits.

Hmm, I tried some of the K-Comp but did not have that problem. Matchlight does have some kind of lighter fluid built in but after 20 minutes it is gone. Even K-Blue with lighter fluid will not have the lighter fluid taste after 20 minutes. Don't know what happened. Lately I use the Diamond Strike-A-Fire cut in 1/3 to 1/2. I think they are just paraffin wax and sawdust.

Thanks guys. I have been a lurker for too long. This is a great Board.

The Matchlights were well over a year ago. so, that cant be it. Maybe everything is just TOO darn seasoned
icon_smile.gif
. It sure does not look that dirty to me, but I am going to give cleaning a try this weekend and then I will let you know. thanks again all...

I'd gotten the same "tastes like lighter fliud" complaints..and was then advised my mesquite chunks were sitting around too long(something about oils in the aged wood ?)

I then plucked the chunks out of the pit, tossed the unused ones, and never got that complaint again.

Do you have wood chunks mixed in with your briquettes in your grill ?

Back