Compact Chimney Starter

I have one on order through Amazon...it's still on backorder.

Edit: Just checked and it should be delivered sometime next week. :)

Mine arrived today! I'm going to use it tonight to grill on my Smokey Joe. I'm excited to see how much it will hold, if it lights better/faster in a more compact space. Fun fun! And it is adorable.

Laura

I just got one and have used it once. Sitting on the side burner of my gasser it was really fast to get lump ready - 5 minutes maybe? Looks like it's about perfect for a Smokey Joe or to get a WSM started or to do an indirect setup on an 18" grill.

What is the verdict on the compact model? I am looking to buy a chimney but I am not sure which is best for an 18" Stoneh... er smoker.

What is the verdict on the compact model? I am looking to buy a chimney but I am not sure which is best for an 18" Stoneh... er smoker.

Works as advertised. It is especially good for a minion method start where a less than full large chimney would be used. I use mine for the JJ and 14.5" WSM.

I've had one of these since June. It's perfect for the SJ and JJ as well as OTG. If I'm only going to grill a steak or burger for the dog and I, and don't feel like using a gasser, it perfect for a small cook. If I'm grilling stuff that requires a longer burn or more people to feed, I use the big one.

Last edited:
Wonder if someone who has both would do a side by side test to see if there is any significant difference in which on lights an equal number of coals faster. Sure would be an interesting data point.

I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't see a response to this I thought I would bring it up again.

If two small chimneys get the coals ready faster than one large one, i would go that way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

-Tom in SoCal

I would get one but I already made my own for the mini.

S1030624_zpse0984c63.jpg

Here are a couple pics for size reference. This is the Weber compact model in the Jumbo Joe. And yes, I agree that it does heat up the charcoal faster than the larger model. I'll attribute it to the smaller diameter.

523F857B-D226-446B-AA79-E1AEFAE1910A.jpg

Both charcoal baskets fit as well which is nice.

7F6DB6D5-856B-4CE4-8F79-17396BBA95B4.jpg

Last edited:
I own the regular and compact chimneys. I use the compact one more frequently for the MM because the coals get going in less time.

I see you used the Ikea Ordning for the basket. What did you use to make the handle?
Did you cut out the bottom?
When you load it, do you just stuff the paper on the bottom and the coals on top?
How many coals can it hold?

I have the regular sized chimney and the smaller one. I find myself using the smaller one more often then the big one when using the WSM. For $10 it was worth the investment.

Love mine. Methinks you have to have both.
I really like it for use with my Dutch ovens... they require very small amounts of KBB.

I have both too. Use Compact Chimney Starter mainly for MM cooks or the snake method. For lighting small amounts of charcoal it works well. It was worth the $11.

Brian

Back