"Commando" style brisket cook underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Today's experiment---what happens when one of Keri's Angels squares off against a 12 lb packer with salt, pepper and mesquite <gasp!> her only weapons?

Primal cut meats primal treatment! sunday Sunday SUNDAY---oh, wait, TONIGHT I mean. Right NOW. Somewhere just shy of 1 a.m. DC time.

Off to a bumpy start. The BBQ gods are toying with my desire to start right away, having provided me with damp paper to light my little ol' chimney. But it's finally going, so we'll see what we can see.

Located the maverick but plan to put in a really wide temp range so I can sleep...! Will deal with temp control more thoroughly in the morning.

Hey Susan,

Sounds great..."I think I smell your smoke"

Let us know how it goes...."pic's would be nice"

I have never gone "primal"with a brisket. I always cover it with flavor .I would love to hear how yours is .

Thanks,
Rick

bet ya got the black face paint 'n webbing on too ... let us know if ya think it helps, or at least makes YOU happy
icon_wink.gif

sounds like it's gonna be good Susan

you could pack the chimney with paper, spritz a little oil (or spray a bit o' Pam) down on the paper from above inside the chiney PRIOR to lighting the paper .... give the briquettes another couple of squirts PRIOR to lighting while you fill the chimney

Oh, I sprayed that sucker (the unlit papers, the coals, the LIT papers---that was the most fun!) with olive oil pam. Ended up with a non-soggy paper towel with olive oil on it. I had left my papers outside figuring on a late start, and the darn things just went damp on me tonight. So being too lazy to walk inside...i fought with it!

Yeah, how come I haven't taken any pics yet? Let's see if the ol' camera has any oomph in it and when I go to adjust the grill temps (which are ever so slowly inching their way up, prolly cuz I dumped wet mesquite chips all over the place) I'll snap a pic.

Honestly, so far this cook is half goofy, but I don't mind. It's kind of fun! But I want to go to sleep soon.

It's a goofy brisket btw. The kind you don't want---really big at the point end, tapering down at the far end of the flat. But does that bother me? NO I say! I think she'll be fine.

Not sure what I expected the mesquite to be like, but so far it smells like when I used to burn sticks from around the yard (cooking burgers and steaks and stuff---er, before I had my snobby supply of 'proper' smokewood). Smells like Autumn. Should be....interesting!

Followed Keri's advice and slashed the fat cap in several places (sometimes I little too enthusiastically, Keri---hope that doesn't affect the little darling too adversely), then it just got the ol' S&P treatment. Keri advocates getting rid of the fat later, but my family would have my head if I laid one solitary finger on it, so I'll just have to see what sooooo much fat looks like at 180 degrees or so and then decide.

C'mon, smoker, get them temps up so I can finish this Oktoberfest and get to bed!

Suggestion: In a recent post Jim M recommended fat cap DOWN for brisket.

Best of luck to y Susan, I'm sure you'll love the outcome!

Babystepping here. Only inching out of my comfort zone a bit at time. Today's virtually rubless brisket w/mesquite is enuff for me without trying a radical fat cap down mod...!

One day tho, when I'm not such a wimp.

I did the fat cap down thing as well. Since it was my first brisket, I have nothing to compare it too. I will say that Jim might be the only one out there recommending fat cap down, at least in my research. The brisket came out fine, by the way.

Susan

I agree with the others. Fat cap down. If you don't the bottom will dry out. The bottom is lean and the heat will eventually takes it's toll on the brisket and dry it out, or you can flip it at the half way mark.

I'm really a fat cap up kinda grrl. Never had an unhappy brisket yet! Of course, I've always had a butt overhead, and that's not the case this time. Maybe I'll split the difference and flip it at some point. But then maybe I won't....!

Jim Minion says fat cap down...but you do what you wants to!!

However, you still haven't answered how a "peach" works!!???!! And that was a fairly lame expalntion on how EZ a pie is!!

Jim Minion wouldn't approve of ANY of the things going on with this cook so far (except for my slavish devotion to his Method)! It's one of my out-of-control overnighters where I was toooo tooo lazy to go adjust things when the Maverick was beeping its head off to let me know that the temps were soaring, so rather than make the short trek out into the cold for a 30 second tweak, I shut the alarm off and went back to sleep. I am the WORST BBQer when I'm sleepy! On the other hand, I do this all the time and since it's really only out of control for a few hours, it doesn't really seem to cause too much harm.

MMmmmmmm. Peach pie....... <drool>

Okay, CA (Commando Angel*) 1st Class Susan, we're coming up on hour 11 of the Primal Premier - reckon it's about time to be presenting a status report there, soldier? Carry on...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

PS - Susan, if you and I ever get the opportunity to cook comp together, there's our team name*.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Guru=cheating.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Cheating? I call it pretty smart! Guess that is why I don't have one! I would love to have one, but the wifey poo doesn't agree! I just agree to prevent an argument! I would definitely use one if I had one! Call it what you want!!!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back