Colored Hubcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig H

TVWBB Super Fan
Always the tinkerer, I finally decided to retrofit some red hubcaps to match my red kettle. Have others done this?

I've seen them used to protect ends of bolts after insertion to protect users from scratching their hands (can't find a pic right now) like on a swing.

OR you could go fancy and use suitably-sized marette connectors if something similar was not available
THOBETE12148_WB_G2_PE_002_RED_160.jpg

Or google "vinyl plastic caps"
Hex-Caps-group1.png

Where did you find red caps Craig?
I tried ordering them from Radio Flyer butt they're either too small or gigantic...
i knew i would not have an easy time finding yellow caps, so I painted new Weber black caps.
DSCN0393.JPG

They are called Cap nuts or push on caps.
DSC_9458.jpg

I get the generic 3/8" black ones at Ace. They have a few colors like red and white, could be some more like chrome.

Tim

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Where did you find red caps Craig?
I tried ordering them from Radio Flyer butt they're either too small or gigantic...
i knew i would not have an easy time finding yellow caps, so I painted new Weber black caps.

I actually picked these up at Ace Hardware a couple months ago. I asked the lady where I could find replacement hubcaps for grill wheels and she replied with a smirk "bright red ones?" I bashfuly said yes. The ones the had are the exact same size on the outside, but the inside clips were too small. So using a spare leg triangle I have laying around, I tapped them in with a rubber mallet manipulating the clips to fit. The I popped them off and then put them on the actual grill wheels. It worked perfectly. Apparently the Ace Hardwares in Omaha are dropping colored push nuts so I bought them out of them. (6 in all) so I have spares.

Originally posted by C.Hill:
Always the tinkerer, I finally decided to retrofit some red hubcaps to match my red kettle. Have others done this?

Chris;
I like the look understated, not flashy, but makes a nice impact,and definite improvement over stock.

Makes me wonder how long it'll be before someone gets some CNC-Machined from Billett Aluminum & Anodized in Color.

You know - like those fancy wheels that you see on some custom Harleys?!?...

I was at the ol' "Man Mall" (Fleet Farm) the other day, and saw some fake-chrome wheel inserts for lawn mowers / riding tractors.

If they would fit Webers - it could be kinda' fun and relatively cheap to give them a touch of Hot Rod.

You know - I would bet that someone could make some money making a few series of after-market "fun" wheels for Weber kettles:
-Mickey-Thompsons / Hoosier Tire replicas on Chrome Rims (Cragar Classic Look-alikes)
-Neck-Car Version
-Super-Swampers
-Wire Wheels in Chrome & Gold for the "Classic / Pimped-Out" look
-Hot-Wheels
-Tonka

Brian, looks great! I'm pretty happy with my wheel caps as well. Are yours painted or actually red?

Sorry for the off-topic - but I just have to ask about Phoebe:

Any chance that she came from Basset Buddies Rescue? (My wife and I work with them - we have two full-blood B-Hounds and two mixes at home.)

She sure is a pretty girl - looks to be around 3 years old or so.

What would be cool is if you took the ash catcher to an auto paint shop and Have them paint it to match with high heat paint. Now that would be something else! It would probably only work with the OTS but it would be cool!

Chris, the hubcaps are red plastic from the hardware store. Right off the shelf.

Ron, we got her in Michigan from a place called Bentley Bassets. We actually have two bassets from them. They are half sisters. Phoebe always loves to help me outside, so she usually ends up in my grill pictures. As soon as I grab the camera she needs to see whats going on. Post some pics of your dogs. There used to be a thread in the just conversation section showing pictures of your pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back