Cold weather smoking

Tim Jordan

TVWBB Member
I have alot of trouble keeping the temp up on cold days and nights with my Weber bullet .I,m a diehard so I like to cook in any weather .Seems like the thin metal disapates alot of heat , I've tried a water heater jacket but it didn't work that well for me . Anyone have a better idea for the newest member ?

Hello Tim,

Welcome to the board.

You sure it's not the wind sucking the heat out of your WSM? Lot's of folks have had luck with the water heater jackets.

Also check out this link:

Cold Weather smoking

It has some very good tips for operating in inclement weather.

Tim,
I don't know what part of the country/world you're from, but I've done a lot of smoking thru the winter, and there were some cold days up here. I mainly learned that I had to load up the ring with more charcoal beyond the typical amounts you might see listed here (nothing against Chris but he lives in California!). At the least if it gets too hot you can usually close down your vents more, but that doesn't sound like your problem. Also, spring is here, and hopefully you're getting some better weather. Good luck.

Hi Tim, Welcome to the club.
Are you sure your fuel is being stored in a dry place? May be getting damp.
Another question is, don't take this in a negative way, are you sure your not putting you water pan on the charcoal? Seen it done before.
Do you put foil in your water pan?
You should have no problems keeping temps up with a heater jacket in the cold weather.
Bob

Thanks Everybody
I do place the water pan in the middle and boil the water before to keep as much heat as possible .I'm also in South Carolina as far as location. It probably is the wind and rain sucking the heat out . The water heater jacket had too much dust or fibers floating around and I didn't think it was safe , it's the only one I found at Home Depot .The suggested web site had some good ideas .The food channel is suppose to have two weeks of shows about barbeque in May , I'm ready for a barbeque sandwich now gotta hold off until after my physical . Tim

Tim,
There seems to be 2 different heater jackets, foiled on one side, foiled on both sides. Mine is foiled on both sides, and I bought a roll of the metal tape to seal where I cut it so no fibers would come off there. No fiber issues with that.
Have fun.

I found that putting it in a protected area and getting that water blanket wrapped properly helps. I've been able to keep up temps in 20 degrees w/30mph winds while it's snowing. I was Q-ing in a blizzard this year so it can be done.

Tim,
I'm in Ohio and smoked a turkey on a day that was 2 degrees when I started and maintained 350 degrees without any kind of jacket. I suspect, like the others that it is not the temperature affecting your smoker.

Been a long time since I posted...too many trips to the big sandbox...man can't wait to retire in 4 yrs LOL.

Well....my 2 cents is to just load that puppy up with as much fuel as you can...let it come up to about 280 and then put the meat on and then get a few cold beers and babysit it for awhile...granted I live in FL and down here 40 deg in the winter is cold LOL. My question is...are you letting the meat come to room temp before you put it on and are you staging your cooker in an area that minimizes wind draft? I know if I put meat on cold it causes temp to take a nose dive and sometimes takes forever in the winter to come back up to temp. Also, even if you let the meat come to room temp it is still a good idea to let the cooker get up a bit above the 250deg max temp...I tend to wait till it gets to 280deg and then put it on. That way when the meat causes the temp to drop...it drops it down almost into the range I'm looking for. Just some thoughts, good luck and glad to have you aboard.

--Matt J

I've had plenty of Awesome overnighters this past winter... (down to -17F outside). I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I contribute part of my success to foiling the water pan, an using sand in it.

Back