Cold smoking

Tom O

TVWBB Fan
I was looking at my old cookbooks and found one published by California Culinary Academy with the title: Barbecuing, Grilling & Smoking. It was published in 1988.

What I did not notice in my pre-WSM days was that the smoker they were using was a WSM.

There is a section on cold smoking. They put 6 cups of hardwood dust in a pan or castiron pot and place it on the bottom grill.

They then place 1/2 cup of hard wood dust in a skillet and put on high heat either with a hot plate or a burner. When the sawdust is blackened, they spread it on the sawdust in the smoker.

You then assemble the smoker with an empty water pan.

They claim the temperature should stay between 90 and 130F.

I've never done this, but it looks interesting. Has anybody done this?....tom

If the hotplate is the sole source of heat, then I'm guessing a person could maintain that low of a temp. I'd be interested if its doable, I would like to make my own jerky with my wsm.

I don't know if I am thinking about this too hard or what, but this doesn't make sense to me.

What is the heat source to create the smoke?

The half cup that was heated on the hot plate before placing it in the smoker is smoldering and will spread. It is blackened and will contain some glowing embers.

I have a Big Chief smoker from my pre WSM days and plan to use it to get the sawdust smoking and then placing it in the grill.

As I said I have not done this, but it might work...tom

Go for it Tom!

I'm interested in the whole cold smoking process, but I've found it ususally involves extremely long smoke times- often measured in days, not hours. It's one thing to do an overnighter, but a five day smoke is a pretty tall order.

From your description, it almost sounds like a Minion Method procedure using sawdust as the fuel/smoke source. I'm envisioning a charcoal basket and grate lined with a fine screen and filled with the hardwood sawdust, with a small starter amount of smoldering sawdust spread out on top. I suppose the vents could control temps as usual? Refill once a day...

You may have rediscovered some exciting info!

Kevin

You are right it is the Minion method using saw dust.

They have 4 recipes. One is for Dry-cured bacon and it calls for 6-24 hr smoking. Now if I can only find some pork belly. Other recipes such as for Pork Butt bacon or smoked pork loin call for overnight smoking.

I was thinking of some cheese, but Scott's suggestion of jerky sounds good.

I have used other recipes in the book. The only thing that is contrary to what I have learned on this site is that the maximum internal meat temperature they suggest is 170. That seems low.

Bruce Aidells is one of the authors, and wrote the smoking section. A picture of the aurhors shows Aidells with a brownish beard instead of the white we see today, but then in 88 I had a red beard which is white today.

I have enjoyed the recipes using the temp guidelines I learned on this sit....tom

Cold smoking works well in the WSM. However, it is very difficult in hot weather. My WSM, with nothing in it is well over 100* in the summertime. If you wanted to do it, find a shaded place, and try it on a cool evening or cooler day.

I've always done pork bellies to 138-140. Remember, you're curing first and you're slicing and cooking it again after smoking.

For a smoked-at-a-higher temp bacon try Buckboard Bacon. Very tasty. You don't have to go through the cold smoker conversion.

Back