Cold Overnighter...

S. Dover

TVWBB Fan
Going to try to cook a brisket tonight. Got to cook it before it goes bad while I am off work. Here is the weather forcast for my area tonight:

"Mainly clear skies. Low 31F. WNW winds at 10 to 20 mph, diminishing to less than 5 mph."

I have never cooked an overnighter with these conditions. I figure my worst enemy will be the wind. I have already made a wind screen for the WSM. I will be using MM to start the cooker. With the cooler air temps, should I use more lit coals to start? I have the charcoal ring heaping full of unlit.

Feel free to jump in and give me some tips. Thanks in advance.

As you surmised, the wind will be your biggest enemy but your wind break will take that out of the equation.

An overnight low temperature of near freezing is not extreme, by any means. I do many more overnighters between November and April (when the lows are closer to 0) than in the more 'comfortable' weather.

I wouldn't worry about starting any additional coals at the start. The Bullet may take a bit longer to come up to temperature and use a bit more fuel than in the Summer, but not by a significant amount.

Block the wind and treat this outing just like any other cook (save the tank top and cut offs). You'll be fine. Once you're up to temperature, the food and the smoker won't care what the outside temperature is.

Enjoy!

Ken

Ken is right, you don't need to use more coals to start, but it won't hurt to start 5-6 extra coals. Try to add really hot water to the pan also. That really speeds the process up. If you don't want to worry about the extra coals and the hot water, just add a little more time to you cook. It'will work either way. Have fun.

That windbreak will make all the difference in the world! Once you get the WSM temps stabilized, it should be smooth sailing with the windbreak in place.

As for the MM method. I normally use about 15 briquettes to start the cook, but bump it up to around 20 during the winter months. Fewer lit coals just means it'll take longer to get up to temps. And I'll second Bob's note on using HOT water in the pan to start. It definately helps get the temps up quickly.

Good luck with the cook. Let us know how it turns out.

Hey Keri. Man did I have a tough one last night as this thread will explain. Finally got it done but would like to know where the problem was.

Brisket sammies for lunch
icon_biggrin.gif

Back