closed vents for tri tip?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I'd like to do a tri tip this evening and read the tips in the cooking section. It's recommended to close all bottom vents and keep them closed for the entire cook. Will that keep a high temp? Do use the same method?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Close all three bottom vents. Open the top vent fully and leave it that way during the entire cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure why it calls for closing all 3 vents. It certainly doesn't mean to keep them closed for the entire cook...that would kill the fire.

I have cooked many tri tips, and the WSM setup is the same as for a butt...adjust vents till you get to temp and put the meat on.

A mistake maybe???

Thats what I assumed; it would be hard to hold 350 with closed bottom vents unless you started with a huge amount of coals....hmmm...I think I'll just set them as I usually do.

According to the chart right under that statement, all 3 vents were closed for 15 minutes, then 1 vent was open 100% with the other 2 closed for the duration of the cook. I believe that was to get control of the temperature before it got "out-of-control".
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks Bill, you're right. I rushed through the instructions and read "leave this way for entire cook" for all vents, where as it only applied to the top vent...duh. OK, back to my 1st Tri Tip!

A clarification appears to have been made to the article that addresses the confusion.

Sorry Chris if I caused you to go through the editing exercise. I just didn't read the instructions carefully enough. The good news is the tri tip came out great. Well received by the entire group. I'll definitely be cooking one of those again!

Back