Cleaning?

R_Sanchez

TVWBB Member
I have had my 22.5 WSM for about a year now and have really enjoyed it. I have used water and a towel to clean the outside but after some of my last few holiday cooks, the water and towel just dont seem to cut it anymore. Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep my WSM looking good? Also, I think that the enamel on the lip of my lid if flaking off. I am hoping it just residue but I doubt it. Any ideas on how to handle that? Thanks in advance.

For cleaning the exterior, I use Greased Lightning, it comes in a yellow bottle at Home Depot.

If it is indeed the enamel, you can clean it and spray some high heat BBQ paint on it or the grease and gunk build up should keep it from rusting.

A good degreaser like simple green or greased lightning along with a scrubby is what I use. For the hard buildups from smoke or grease some extra fine steel wool (grade#0000) and something like 401 or a grill cleaner spray will work.

Tim

Thanks for the advice!

I tried the simple green on the lid and it worked great! Will do the rest this weekend. I do realize the enamel is flaking at the base of the lid. Is this a common thing or should I contact Weber before it gets worse? My ECB had no enamel coating and no cover. I never had any problems with rust.

I'd contact Weber if the enamel is coming off and there's no sign of an accident. I don't remember all the specifics, but it seems like the warranty should be applicable. Never had a problem at all with the enamel on my kettles or wsm except for mine or the nephew's mishaps.
icon_redface.gif

Make sure it is not just creosote flaking off inside the lid! That is a common problem on any smoker. Use balled up foil to knock it off. I have never heard of the actual enamel flaking off as it is very durable. More common are chips..

It can happen on the outside of the lid, noticed that creosote or whatever flaky stuff it is towards the rim a few times on mine.

Tim

I'll bet it's creosote unless the lid sustained mechanical damage. I clean as little as possible. My favorite tool is a ball of foil to clean the grate.

Back