Cleaning your Gasser with more than soap & water...

Mike McGlinn

TVWBB Member
Do any of you guys clean the inside parts (kettle, flavorizers, slide out bottom pan & grates) of your gasser with anything more than soap and water?

I was thinking about using something like Simple Green or something along those lines.

I cover my grates with HD Foil and let it run on high until it quits smoking. That will burn off everything.

I forgot to add, you'll want to make sure the catch pan is empty first. Once the accumulated gunk in there starts burning it goes for a while. (grin)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil S:
I cover my grates with HD Foil and let it run on high until it quits smoking. That will burn off everything.

I forgot to add, you'll want to make sure the catch pan is empty first. Once the accumulated gunk in there starts burning it goes for a while. (grin) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you do this with the lid open or closed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil S:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just recently had to call Weber for warranty support. My rather new porcelain coated grates were chipping and already started to rust (under 1yr).

The CS rep asked if I had used the foil trick for cleaning and said that will accelerate the wear on the porcelain.

That was news to me...

That makes sense but I only do it a couple of times a year and the grates seem fine. I'm inherently lazy and I'd rather buy new grates than go through the mess of using soap and water,
icon_smile.gif

I wonder if thermal shock would be the issue. I usually leave the lid closed until it cools but I can see where opening up the grill and rapidly cooling the grates might cause flaking.

Back