cleaning up the wsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa L

TVWBB Member
Just a comment; don't know if this is common knowledge or not. I did two pork shoulder roasts Friday night (15 hours, they turned out great! They won me the "best main dish" prize at a potluck) Left all the bottom vents open and put the cover on (top vent open as always)

Sunday morning, I'm cleaning up. I usually dump the Kingsford ash into the foil-lined water pan; the ash absorbs the water, then I wrap the whole thing and throw it in the trash. As I was scooping the large pile of ash with my hand I found some hot embers deep in the pile of ash. This is 27 hours after the cook!

Anyway, didn't burn myself....... I sure didn't think that there would still be any live coals going.

Just wanted to post this, heads up, careful about ash disposal, don't want anyone hurt and don't want anyone setting a fire!

Theresa

Hi Theresa!

You were lucky! My little foray with leftover ashes cost $584 and damn near burnt down a brand new hospital clinic!

Live and learn!

Just for you Theresa!

I sell surgical instruments to Sports Med docs and one of the things I do for my bigger clinics is cook ribs for them.

Last year I cooked up a rib lunch for a clinic up in Goshen, IN. This was in December and it was COLD!! To serve lunch, I had to start the cookers around 5:30am....it is a 2 hour trip so I was up early. Did I mention I got a speeding ticket on the way there?? LOL

So, I started cooking the ribs at 6am. Served lunch at 12 noon and stirred and snuffed the coals. I ran some errands and did general clean-up for the next 3 hours. Before leaving I dumped the coals into their dumpster..which was not only empty but wet on the bottom. I spread them out on the bottom so they would burn down quicker.

I got a call the next day..first time the office manager had ever called me(I usually deal directly with the docs). I knew something was up. Sure enough, they had a fire during the night! The cleaning crew threw all the paper products into the dumpster around 10pm. At some point, it caught fire.

This dumpster is one of the big ones you see at businesses, so they had a very nice and very new decorative fence around it. The fire got so hot if completely melted the fence and burnt the paint off the dumpster..the lid on the dumpster was totally disintegrated! LOL

This whole set-up was very close to the back of the building. Did I mention the building was very big and only 2 weeks old?? LOL Fortunately for me, it only singed the brick exterior!

You are probaly hoping this is the end of story.....no such luck.

The following week I was cooking lunch for the Outpatient Surgery Center..same city and owned by the same group of docs. Still cold also!

I arrived at 5:30am and set-up. Around 6am I hear fire truck sirens. A few minutes later, in pulls the fire truck, they all hop out and start unreeling the hoses. Aghast, I simply stared with mouth wide open. Finally, off the back of the truck jumps the senior doc...laughing so hard he darn near fell down! LOL

Anyway, he said he just couldn't resist. He knew the fire dept and the guys on duty that day, so just had to mess with me.

They have become my best account and the entire experience can now be joked about.

BUTTTTTT....just be sure your coals are COMPLETELY out before moving on!!

NOW the story is finished.

Stogie --

Fantastic Story!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I can just see that fire truck pulling up and your expression! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Truly one for the ages! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Combine Pyro and Stogie and whada ya got?
Pyrogie.... well, it's still early out here on the west coast. Bibbity Bobbity Boo!

I would have given real money to see the look on Stogie's face at that moment. A pity no one had a camera.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back