Cleaning cooking grates with oven cleaner?

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone clean thier cooking grates with oven cleaner? I was thinking of trying it and I wondered if anyone else does it. I brush them off everytime, but they do still get some buildup. I was thinking of spraying them with oven cleaner, letting it soak a while then hosing them off good.

Roughly every other month I'll put all the cooking grates in a black garbage bag, spray them down with Zep industrial oven cleaner, close up the bag, and set them out in the sun for the afternoon. Late in the day I take them out and hose them off. They are always as clean and shiny as brand new. I'm very lazy so a bunch of scrubbing ain't happenin'.

In between I just run a quick brush or wad of aluminum foil over them to knock off the big junk.

Russ

No, I want no part of oven cleaner. I spray with Pam before cooking. When done, usually the next day, I soak in the sink and wipe off with a pad in minutes

Hi All! While I don't yet have a WSM, here's how I clean my grill grate. I watch lots of QVC and once in awhile I succomb to an impulse buy. So one day I saw this gizmo called the Grill Daddy and I bought it. Needless to say the Hubster expressed his dismay.
icon_wink.gif
(OK, so I got three of them. Sheesh!) It has a stainless steel brush and holds water in the handle and and as you brush the hot grill, the water steam cleans the grate. Even the Hubster admits it works pretty good!
icon_cool.gif

I don't care for oven cleaner but that tip about the self-cleaning cycle is awesome! I would never have thought of that! linda

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Linda:
So one day I saw this gizmo called the Grill Daddy and I bought it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My wife bought one recently. Good luck to you if yours works. I thought it was a waste of money and tossed it, but then I usually have no luck with gadgets

Oh yeah, let me explain. By "pretty good," I mean it does an adequate job. Sure not a super job! But it does get the crusty bits and other icky stuff off and leaves the grate clean enough it doesn't attract pests. Also, I brush before and after each cook; not sure I have to, but I do.

I soak my grates in hot soapy water and scrub with a scotch brite pad. Very little work and grates are clean and in great shape since I purchased my WSM in 2003.

I always just brush em off BEFORE i cook on em while they are hot. Im as lazy as one can be.
Once a year i do clean em. Give em a rub with green soap. And then blast away with my pressure washer.

I never have used any cleaners at all! When you are done cooking just throw your grates right on the charcoal grate and then brush them! They do not get that shiny new look but they are sterilized!

I haven't used oven cleaner and my grates won't fit in my kitchen sink (plus it's messy). Can't remember who suggested it here, but someone said to go to Home Depot and get a water heater pan & a plug. I'll add some water and dishwashing liquid and let the grates soak for 30 minutes or so, then use wadded up foil to scrub off the burnt on bits.

Back