Chuck Roll questions

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
Put on a nearly 30lb chuck roll about 12 houra ago, kept temp at 225 to 250, and as of now, it is about 168 deg.
1) I have read to foil them at 165 to 170. Is this necessary? I did not expect it to be this high, this fast.
2) Does anyone use any finishing sauce when pulling them?
Thanks-first chuck roll here.

In my opinion foiling is necessary otherwise the roll can dry out. If your concerned about timing, when done wrap in heavy duty foil (the foil you use for cooking will probably have way to many juices in it, althogh I'd dump some of the just back in the the refoiled roll), wrap in a towel and then throw in a towel lined cooler. Will hold well for up to 4 - 5 hours.

Regarding finishing sauce I use one that Bryan S. turned me on to. Equal parts your fav. bbq sauce, beef broth (or chicken) and melted butter. I don't use a lot, maybe 1/2 cup to every 8 lbs of meat. I drizzle, toss, drizzle toss to my liking.

Would like to hear how it went. I would've said "FOIL," but it's been 9 hours since you asked your question.

What happened?

I'm guessing you have a 22", because 30# of meat wouldn't fit in my 18.5, I don't think.

Thanks guys, I ended up foiling at 170, and took it to 200. Pulled it, and it is in a crock pot (well enough for tonight) We have not ate it yet, but the samples were outstanding!

Dennis, do you have a 18.5" or a 22" model? I'm just trying to figure out how you got a 30 lb. CR in your WSM!

Back