CHUCK ROLL AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill, i don't think it's the weight you need to worry about it's the length. I just put my 18.5 lber on the top rack and it used up every bit of it.So when i get them from here on out i'm taking a tape measure with me cause i don't want to have to cut it down to fit. Went to bj's tonight to pick up some spares and they had a 24 lber there that was the same length as my 18.5. The Guru is chugging along it seems pretty cool so far. Filled up the ring with Royal Oak lump and 5 Chunks of Pecan and 3 Cherry. The guru looks pretty neat at night glowing in the dark. Bryan

Thanks Bryan ~ That's what I thought
icon_wink.gif

The Sam's club here in K.C. carries the chuck roll. Hardly ever have any sitting out, have to ask the butcher for them.

Dave, i paid $1.79 lb for it at BJ'S. Yes it pulls just like pork. It's the same cut as pork butt. Like Lane said don't forget to ask. Bryan

"""""Bryan S
TVWBB Pro
posted August 11, 2004 04:05 PM
Anthony, same cut as a Pork Butt only it's BEEF Bryan Chipotle mayo goes good with it"""

(someones gotta teach me how to qoute cuz i konw this is not to way to do it.."""

Ok guys...this is like LOL funny....this was referring to what a chuck roll is...so i saw this post and said ok im going to look up the beef chart cuz i never heard of it....and then i saw that the chuck roll was in the front of the cow....huh...i thought it was a BUTT?!?!
then i checked out the pork chart......THE PORK BUTT AINT IN THE REAR OF THE PIG?!?!!? i thoght it was a called a pork BUTT!!! BUTT referring to the back the @$$ of the piggy......
silly jewish kid!!!!!!!

well i thought id share that with ya cuz it was pretty funny when i had that AAHHHHHHHHH?! when i finally figured out that the BUTT aint really the BUTT!!!! go figure....
Thanks bryan

Hey, Mords, that makes the chuck roll Kosher, yeah? Everything from the 10th rib forward is ok, isn't it? So now you can get on the "pulled butt" wagon, even tho it ain't piggy.

Yeah, I'm always tellin' folks the butt ain't the butt, it's a shoulder---the HAM is a BUTT.

I've done quite a few Chuck Roll, I get them just across the street from work at the Cash & Carry.

I've fit up to about a 24 pounder on the top rack. Last one was a 27 pounder, had to cut it in two. Be sure to foil at 160-170, I've been lazy a couple of times and not foiled, the taste is just as great but the meat tends to be drier.

I always figure on a 24+ hour cook with Chuck Rolls, the second WSM comes in handy, when the coal are just about gone and temps are starting to drop I fire up the bottom section of #2 and put the middle and top from #1 on it when the charcoal is ready.

Hi everyone, If you want to read about it i posted the results under the post Guru Maiden Voyage. I foiled this one at 160 and took it to 202. Took 20 hrs.I liked the #1 rub better than the #2 on the chuck roll. It was so moist and tender when i pulled it at 9:30 last night. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
(someones gotta teach me how to qoute cuz i konw this is not to way to do it..""" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usually, the post you want to quote is in the same thread in which you are replying. To accomplish that, you press the icon at the lower right of the post you wish to quote that looks like a folder with... quotation marks. Feel free to edit out all the irrelevant parts to which you are not replying or referring in order to save space and promote clarity, but do not disturb the beginning and ending, bracketed
tags. If you wish text pasted from another thread to appear as a quotation in your post, embrace it between <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
(notice the slash).</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
(someones gotta teach me how to qoute cuz i konw this is not to way to do it..""" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usually, the post you want to quote is in the same thread in which you are replying.
Code:
 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok doug im going to try this out here.. i think i have it........also....asked pops about the chuck roll and never heard of that cut... iknow for ground me they use CHUCK.....but realize this...i aint makin a 20 pound chuck roll...do you know how much that would set me back.. im not going to even think of it...im going to ask my butcher tom if they make that cut..mmm...and you pull it just like the pork BUTT? interesting...def gonna have to try to get my hands on this.......
as for you susan,, the 10th rib foward...whatever you say...im not really savy on the cuts of meat, as you can seee...but i know we dont eat any sirlion or tri tip...thats no no.. neways folk i gotta go find out how to get this cut of meat....tryin new things all the time...i thought you would apprecieat the BUTT incident..take care

Doug: ok not bad for starters.....

Dave, no trimming at all. The ones i get don't have a fat cap on like the pork butts. They have plenty of fat inside though.Fiure on an 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min a lb. Bryan

Bryan S,

I just picked up a 16lbs chuck roll, and plan on smoking Friday nite to ready Saturday aft.
When you foil do you add anything?
What type of wood do you use?
just to make you feel better chuck roll in Toronto is about $4.00 per lbs Can. Not $1.79 us.

Cheers

Merc

Oh man! Chuck is the trend right now. I'm gonna have to get me some of that. I see that folks are using the Texas rub # 1. Since I still dont have any of that, any suggestions on a good rub recipe? I think I'll probably use mesquite since I've accumulated a pretty good pile of that.

Would this chuck roll be the preferred cut when feeding a large group (50-60)? I'm cooking for a party a friend is having, and he has requested beef brisket, but I'd much prefer to pull the beef rather than slice. Just wondering about taste.

Andy, you can take the brisket to 200+ degrees and chop it(pull it) instead of slicing it. We slice it because it is the traditional way of serving brisket, but, its not the right or only way. That way no hard slicing work for you!!
icon_smile.gif

Steve, I foiled at 160 and took to a final temp of 202. First one i did i used kinsford Mesquite
charcoal and 2 fist sized pieces of pecan and 2 fist sized pieces of cherry. They can handle a lot of smoke because of their size. The second one was done over Royal Oak Lump which you get a nice flavor from that and 2 pecan and 1 cherry. Figure on 1hr - 1hr 15min a lb.
Owen, you can use the wild willies rub from the smoke and spice cookbook or the salt lick rub recipe found here.Salt Lick Rub Clone
Andy, if you only have 1 WSM not sure that 2 briskets would feed that many people. When i do a brisket i eat half of the flat my self
icon_rolleyes.gif
between my wife and i we polish off 2/3 of the flat. You get 2 - 20 lb chuck rolls in there you'll have plenty of Q to go round. JMO and as greg said it's easier than slicing all that meat.
icon_eek.gif
IMO do the chuck rolls you won't be dissapointed
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Steve, Did you ever order the Texas BBQ Rub. I know there was a shipping issue with it? Here is a detailed account of the chuck roll cook.Chuk roll cook

Bryan,
I have not ordered as of yet, I will, just after the long weekend at the begining of September.
I am thinking of talking to Bill at Texas Rub
to see if there is a possiblty be a distibutor in Canada, this would stop a lot of headaches with him and customs. Anyone North of the border would have it their doorstep within two days
of ordering, instead of sitting in some warehouse waiting to be cleared by customs for three or four days.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back