Chris - Your temp measurement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris,
I noticed the chart and graphing in the new newsletter. What do you use for your temp measuring devices? Does it have a PC interface?

As always this months subject on the newsletter is exceptional!

Regards,
PrestonD

Hi Chris, I would also be interested in any info on PC interfaces from temp measuring devices if you have any.

Thanks,

Hi,

I used a data logging thermometer from ThermoWorks. The model number is 1305 and they're overstocked and on sale now for $350.

The unit will accept 2 k-type probes and can record up to 6000 temperature readings at a configurable interval (you can specify min:sec of the interval). Data is uploaded to a PC via serial cable using a software application that's included. Data pulls easily into Microsoft Excel for charting. It even has an output that can be wired to trigger an alarm or control a device based on temperature.

Now, let me make this point. By including that chart in my recent article on Chuck Roll, I was not trying to suggest that everyone needs to go out and buy one of these things. In fact, often times I think we get too wound-up about temperature. Perhaps I contribute to this by putting tables of temperature readings in the articles I write. When I do that, all I'm trying to do is illustrate how the WSM performs, and I don't think it's necessary for the average person to measure cooker temperature every 15 minutes, like I sometimes do. Maybe I don't make that clear enough in the articles I write.

For me, I felt that I could justify the purchase of this data logging thermometer because it would allow me to better illustrate to readers how the cooker performs temperature-wise, even overnight when I can't be watching the cooker. I can also use it to conduct some well-documented temperature "experiments", for example measuring differences between using water vs. sand, top vs. bottom grates temps, etc.

Sorry for the long post, I just don't want anyone thinking that I'm trying to promote data logging thermometers as something that everyone should own.

Regards.
Chris

Chris-

I hear ya on the "getting too worked up about temps" thing. Agree wholeheartedly. However, ya gotta admit, that's a pretty cool toy you have there, and it's a great addition to the cooking arsenal for the "geeky" crowd that likes to know exactly what's going on with the cooker at all times, under all conditions.

I will live vicariously through the results of your tests, however (and a big THANKS in advance), as I can find another way to spend that money (on meat, beer, and maybe another cooker!!!)

Love the articles and info. Keep 'em coming.

Rich G.

PS: You gonna come out to Antioch this weekend?

Aww C'mone! I think everyone should have at least 2 of them! Seriously, I spent many hours with data loggers and a multitude of vibration sensing equipment and thermal chambers when I worked for Martin Marietta (before they became Lockheed Martin). PrestonD's post just kind of peaked my interest a little as I thought maybe someone had come out with a PC interface with thermistors at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the info,

Wow, I could use one of these! I live about a mile from work... I'm thinking I could write a program to email me when lunch is ready! Sweet!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Yeah I agree and my post was not to get folks wrapped up about the temps and all...but as an accrutrimental toy to the joy of the BBQ processes...I like!

DATAQ sells a 4 channel analog input remote data acquisition module in a $25 starter kit. This is about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes and it hooks up to the serial (RS-232) port on your PC. It comes with pretty nice software.

The expensive thing is the temperature transducers. You have to get some sort of signal conditioning to get the signal to 0-10 VDC.

There is a fahrenheit integrated circuit temperature sensor by National that produces voltage output for temps from 0-250 F. You can take this chip and make your own probe and the results are very linear on the output.

Oh well you can take the engineer out of the lab but dont take him away from the BBQ restaurant!!!

regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back