Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder injection and rub

Both are good. I've done both a number of times, but what I do for comp tends to look more like this one and less like the Renowned Mr Brown. You can't go wrong with either one.

Keri C

This sounds very good gonna try it very soon may this weekend. Will be first long cook on the new WSM good test

I am going to give this a try tomorrow...is there any reason I cannot pre-make the injection and let it sit in the fridge, so it's one less thing to start in the early AM?

made 20 lbs of pork with this recipe once again and let's just say there wasn't much left...and it wasn't that big of a party. Definitely a fan favorite here.

I am relatively inexperienced with pork shoulders but I tried this recipe with two Boston Butts and it was first rate...A real keeper.

Thanks,

All ingredients have been purchased, and an 8.4 lb shoulder is in the fridge. My fist long smoke is taking place at this moment with a brisket. I'm going to do the shoulder either tomorrow or Monday.

Obviously time varies based on many conditions, but does the estimate of 1 1/2 hours per pound apply to the pork shoulder as it does for brisket? I haven't seen mention in shoulder threads mentioning a time per pound number as I did in brisket threads, and want to get a general idea of average to determine when this smoke needs to start.

The only think I ever smoked on the Genesis (although not as low) was ribs, tukey and ham - so brisket and shoulder is a new experience. I'd prefer not to eat at midnight off possible. Yes, I'm keeping logs so I don't have to ask these questions every time.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks! (again)

I've had this recipe on my radar for a while. Now I have two butts and as I look at it seems like a lot of sugar in the rub and injection.

Anyone who's done this recipe does this come out sweet?

I think it actually comes out a little salty with the default recipe - I've started scaling the salt back a bit.

I like this recipe a great deal because it gives the pork a nice flavor and it comes out very moist and can be served without any sauce.

No, its not too sweet. I've done this recipe twice both times with great results. I've decided to omit the injection the next time I try it, for how much of a pain it is I didn't really think it added much.

Foil or not, I've done both ways and it was great both times. Sprinkle some extra rub over the pulled meat and a few spritzes of organic apple juice and let the gluttony begin!

It depends on what you are used to, I suppose, and how you define it. This rub is over-the-top sweet to me and the injection only makes it worse--or better, or the same, depending on your point of view. This combo is what it says it is, an approach for a comp. Lack of both complexity and depth combined with a (to me, very) sweet theme and finish are pretty much pre-reqs for doing at all well at comps. Many people like the 'comp-style' regardless if they compete or not, many don't (I know many comp cooks who only do the very sweet thing for comps, never at home). And there are those that go for the more 'vinegar-y' style of NC.

Question about the injection. Is it done immediately before putting it on the smoker? It seems to be the case, but it's not treated like a marinade though, right?

I think Chris's recipe calls to inject then put on the smoker. I find it easier to inject while on the smoker. This way when I handle it I don't squeeze the injection out of the butt . . . ew, that didn't sound right, LOL!

I tried this recipe the other day with a modified Piedmont sauce (the originial is way too hot for my kids). The family absolutely loved it. The meat is simply melt in mouth good and doesn't even need sauce. The second day of eating that shoulder seemed to be even better. Good stuff!

Originally posted by LarryR:
I think Chris's recipe calls to inject then put on the smoker. I find it easier to inject while on the smoker. This way when I handle it I don't squeeze the injection out of the butt . . . ew, that didn't sound right, LOL!

why have i never thought of that??so simple yet so effective.

Tried this one over the weekend.

Did (2) 5.5-lb shoulder / butts. Smoked with a mix of Apple / Maple. They came out beautifully! (I can try to post pictures if these is any interest.)

Had several family members try some - everybody seemed to love it. Nice and juicy. Finding an injector was a bit of a chore - they're easier to find and cheaper around Thanksgiving time. I ended up getting the "deluxe" model as Williams Sanoma (but it really worked nicely).

I've now tried butts (3) different ways:

-Chris Lilly's
-Mr. Brown
-Alton Brown's brined in salt / molasses

No definite favorite so far - It's good to be able to make something tasty like Pulled Pork in several different ways. I think that the touch of sweetness in this recipe, along with the simple nature of the rub (toned-down spices) lets the flavor of the meat & smoke come through nicely.

I haven't done Mr. Brown yet, but I tried this recipe in a house full of southerners. That was some MIGHTY fine pulled pork. It was quite flavorful and my family devoured every morsel. There really isn't a whole lot I would add to this recipe. Its great on it's own.

Andrew -

I did roughly a half-recipe, with about half as much meat.

Followed the recipe for amounts with two modifications to the rub:

-used turbinado ("sugar in the raw" for all sugar) It's supposedly less prone to burning.

-used sweet Hungarian paprika from Penzey's (a bit less sharp than some other stuff out there)

Did not seem to be "over-powered" by the paprika at all.

hope this helps

Back