Chimney starter

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
In Home Depot Sat. saw Weber chimney starter for 35.00. Holy cow, the price jump has been unreal. I`m glad they last a long time. I have had one for about 12 or 13 yrs. Sits outside in the weather year round. Think I paid about 13.00 for that one.

Wow that's pretty expensive! I think my Weber chimney starter was about the same $13 or so.

EDIT: Just checked, $14.99 from Amazon.

I think many companies held their prices for as long as they could in 2022 but New Year, new prices. I hope I'm wrong, but I think 2023 is going to be a (another) bumpy ride.

For reference, I bought the compact from Amazon in March of last year for $16.99.

In Home Depot Sat. saw Weber chimney starter for 35.00. Holy cow, the price jump has been unreal. I`m glad they last a long time. I have had one for about 12 or 13 yrs. Sits outside in the weather year round. Think I paid about 13.00 for that one.
Yes $35 is expensive.

But if it lasts 13 years, that’s $2.70 a year.

I see Weber chimney starters on Facebook marketplace used $5-$15 often enough.

Anyone who lived through the 70’s probably has a leg up on what it’s like living in an inflationary period.

Edit: I bought mine in September:

232D1932-1E0E-4915-B333-BAD23A1C2BDE.jpeg

I have a full size Weber one with the 'packaging' still on it that I picked up in the fall of '21 when Kroger was clearing them out. I paid $10 or $15 for it.

I have 4 of different sizes and manufacturers. But I use the mini the most I have one large that has never been used at least by me.
I buy a used performer and get a chimney.

Walmart has their Expert Grill chimney listed at just under $10. It holds ~3 lbs. of charcoal. Weber's price is way out of line with most others IMO.

If ifind a good price on a mini I will buy that.
Yeah back in thec60s my dad did the 3# coffee can thing and it worked great.

But..the cone shape in the bottom of the Webers is KEY to great lighting. All the others that have a flat bottom with round holes doesn't perform anywhere close to the Weber IMO.
It's been years since I've bought anything but Webers so I don't know what today's competing chimneys are like, but it used to be that the Weber chimneys were made out of heavier gauge material that outlasted the competition. I've been happy with the longevity of my chimneys and personally don't see any need to change. I think the Weber chimney is a good value for the money, IOW.

But..the cone shape in the bottom of the Webers is KEY to great lighting. All the others that have a flat bottom with round holes doesn't perform anywhere close to the Weber IMO.
For the price difference I'll live with the extra 5 or so minutes.

Back