Chicken Wings on WSM

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
I love cooking chicken wings and this was my first cook doing wings on the WSM. One charcoal chimney full of lit coals. No water pan. WSM set up like UDS. My wife likes them 'crispy' and 'charred'. Marinated during the day in a made up marinande (i threw sh*t together from fridge) then a little Dizzy Dust.

Figured the heat would be enough. WSM running around 275 wide open. 65 minutes later (after a little stubbs sauce). Voila. Delicious and as good as any I've made on the ranch.

Another successful WSM experiment.

Those do look very good, I can do this (I've had terrible luck doing wings) Nice cook, thanks for sharing

Just bought a boat load of wings, got them soaking in Frank's RedHot Wings sauce. Tomorrow gonna cook them in my WSM just like Jim did above, although I'm thinking about using lump. When they're almost done, gonna give them some Stubbs BBQ sauce

I make a lot of wings during football season but don't like the hassle of cleaning the deep fryer so I have a process I go through to make the wings crispy when I bake them. including the cooking time it's about a three hour process. Never thought using the WSM but then again I didn't have one until last week. Those look damn good. It's on my list for the first preseason game, go Niners.

I once hear that cooking a wing is like cooking three different meats, and so you had to smoke them but you did it with oil or something like that so it wouldnt burn the tips like shown here.

I'm a wing addict and use a variety of means to cook them. I only smoke them in conjunction with a butt or some ribs. Otherwise, I either bake or deep fry them. I usually smoke them for about an hour, then crisp them up on my gas grill. I have a stash of cherry chunks that seem to work well with wings and wing sauce.

I also like to smoke them for like an hour or so on the WSM and then crisp them up on Performer, sauce, re crisp...re sauce....Hmm..

Those wings look great! I'm in a brisket, ribs, butt rut. Just the nudge to get me out of it. Well done!

anyone ever try making scarbelly wings? you inject them with a butter/hot sauce mixture prior to smoking. i hope to try this out before summer is over

Funny and Insightful, my father named his three sons "out of", "leaps and" and "re"... being the youngest of the three, i was stuck with Rebounds.

Back