Chicken Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When you rub a whole chicken, does the rub or marinade penetrate the skin? How does removing the skin affect cooking. It seams like you should remove the skin and then apply the rub. Also, if I don't buterfly (cooking 4 chikcens)does it matter how I place the birds on the grill. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi Darrell, I would cook with the skin on. What you want to do is to work the rub underneath the skin as much as possible. I usuall donot use a mop or baste ribs, butt or brisket, I just spray with apple juice. But with chicken I do like to mop or baste through the cook. I hope this helps.

Chach

Hey Darrell,
For me marinades work best for penetrating flavors into the meat.For rub,take your fingers work them under the skin and apply the rub(leave the skin on).Injecting and flavored brines are other options.Hope this helps.

Willy T.

I always brine turkeys or turkey breasts before grilling. But never did it with chicken. I think I'm gonna try it.
But as far as seasoning. Brining is the best way IMO to get what ever flavor it is you want in the chicken. Brine whole birds for 24 hours and you'll love the results. I know I do with turkeys.

Darrel,

For chickens, I use a culinary injector and use a rather thin sauce in addition to a dry rub on the skin. I have never brined, but injecting the liquid sauce under the skin and numerous other points in the meat has worked really well for me.

Darrel,

If you want to try your hand at injecting, instead of buying an injector, find someone who works at a hospital (don't we all know someone?), have them get you a 20cc syringe and an 18 gauge 1-1/2 inch needle...works like a charm and the price is right...
If you don't know anyone, let me know...I'll set ya up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back