Chicken Quarters On Saturday

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
This morning I ran out to pick up my Independence Day cook-- three slabs of spares for the WSM. While at the meat market I saw some enticing chicken quarters and fell prey to their siren song.

Didn't think to start snapping pics until about a third of the way into the cook...
9169888679_8c30f19cf3_o.jpg

So I have the three chicken quarters, rubbed with some McCormick Roasted Garlic & Herb. In the cast iron are a couple of spuds, which I sliced in half. Put some olive oil in the skillet, and sprinkled on some sea salt, garlic powder, and crushed black pepper.

Probably two thirds of the way through:
9169888461_3fa505bd70_o.jpg

9169888131_3d38e6fb7a_o.jpg

9169887867_5f96b116be_o.jpg

Ready for eating, following a short direct sear for the chicken right over the coals:
9169887679_199076c92f_o.jpg

9169887381_861a4c6085_o.jpg

To the folks that use cast iron on the grill-- when doing potatoes do you usually do the entire cook on the grill? This was only my third attempt with CI on the grill, so I'm still trying to figure out best practices with that.

Everything looks great Matt!
Not sure what you are asking in reference to the cast iron and potatoes.
Sometimes I will parboil or zap in the microwave and then put them in the CI.
It depends if what I am cooking is going to take a long or short time. Sometimes
I just cut them up and put them on the grill. Either way works.

Everything looks great Matt!
Not sure what you are asking in reference to the cast iron and potatoes.
Sometimes I will parboil or zap in the microwave and then put them in the CI.
It depends if what I am cooking is going to take a long or short time. Sometimes
I just cut them up and put them on the grill. Either way works.

Wasn't sure if some folks 'start' their taters in the oven before moving over to CI, or if they just do the entire cook on the grill and/or CI.

Leg quarters are one of the best BBQ bargains in the store.

When I was in school we could buy a 10 lb. bag for $3.90. Grab a few cans of the cheapest pork and beans and some loaves of bread, and you had a party for under $10.

Back