Chicken - Does the can make a difference?

G

I've just picked up a smallish diameter stand on which to perch a chicken. It's no where near big enough for a beer can, so I'm wondering if I've made a mistake.

Does the moisture generated from the liquid in the can keep the chicken jucier?

Can you taste a difference?

I'm thinking that in a water smoker, a little beer won't make a big difference, and it seems a terrible waste of the golden nectar.

The beer does keep the chicken more moist. That is because of the steam rising through the carcass of the chicken. I usually do these on the grill at around 350. The other advantage is that you can flavor the beer. I use BBQ rub sometimes, cajun, old bay and liquid smoke, etc. IMHO the flavor comes through.

Go to Wally World and get a Beer can chicken holder for $4.

They do have them up there don't they, eh?

During my last beercan chicken smoke I used two of the WalMart stands with the outside ring on the base and placed them on the top rack. I then put a chicken on the lower rack with a clove of garlic and a peeled onion in the body cavity. I used Britu rub and some olive oil on all three chickens as well as putting some rub and a clove of garlic in each half-can of beer.

The chicken that was on the lower rack turned out great as well as the two on the beer racks. I think the drippings from the two chickens on top helped the chicken on the lower rack.

I do not think whatever is in the can keeps chicken 'more moist'. I know a lot of people swear by 'beer can' chicken but personally I don't find it worth bothering with. It's easy to toss aromatics into the cavities directly--why bother putting them in liquid in a can? Moist aromatics will steam just as readily as liquid in a can. Chicken dries out only if overcooked. If you want leeway you can brine (I always do). If you add aromatics or flavorings with some concentration to the brine, you'll have chicken flavored with those aromatics and flavorings. I did it once ( a beer can chicken), years ago, and it seemed a bit pointless to me. I think it easier to do whatever you want to do directly--the can--or the stand-- just gets in the way.

icon_cool.gif
Beer can chicken in a smoker? Hmmm, never tried that. I've done them on the grill only. What works fo me is closing up the neck hole. Stitch it closed or add something (lettuce leaves) to keep the "steam" from escaping too rapidly. It works for me.

I have to agree with Kevin. I tried beer can chicken once and found it to be more hassle than it was worth. I had a hard time getting the chicken to stay upright and not spill the beer. I have done several chickens on my Weber kettle and have had very good results by adding my favorite rub and inserting a whole lemon into the cavity with a couple of fork holes in it.
Lately however, I have been brining my birds and found this produces an excellent flavour with very moist meat. I haven't smoked a chicken on my WSM yet but I think it's gonna be chicken and ribs for mothers day.
However, if you do decide to use the beer can method, do yourself a favour and don't use STEELER !!! On second thought it might be a good way to get rid of that can you can't seem to pawn off on your company. Sorry Bill couldn't resit.
GOOD LUCK and have fun in Steeltown.

I didn't notice much of a difference until I stuffed the neck cavity with an onion or a potato. That held the steam in and I felt that it kept the bird more moist. Just my opinion though.

Now, a rotisserie bird, that's a whole different topic. That's the real way to go.

I'm with Steve. The most important part is to make sure that the top of the neck is sealed. I use toothpicks, or a skewer. After that, make sure that you have a nice diameter vessel at the bottom. You want the bird itself to act as a pressure cooker. The tighter the seal, the better.

I use a beer can (sometimes a pounder if it's a large bird) with the top taken off with :
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1/2 can (real) beer
<LI>1 thinly sliced medium onion
<LI>3 struck cloves of garlic
<LI>Fresh rosemary, tyme, & oregeno (to taste)
<LI>Your favorite rub with a little extra salt (again, to taste)
[/list]

My 2 pennies.

Beer can chicken looks impressive. It has a high WOW factor.

For flavor I prefer a spatchcock chicken on a weber ranch kettle. Either solution added or soaked for a day or more in my not so simple brine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> However, if you do decide to use the beer can method, do yourself a favour and don't use STEELER !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean. A Sleeman Cream Ale perhaps?

I think I'll go two birds, with can and without. Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Usually, I use a gasser and rotisserie to do chicken, so the smoke & beer can method should be a new taste adventure.

A few questions for those of you who of you who don't necessarily like the b/c chicken idea: how do you do the chicken? Do you still do the whole roaster? Roasting pan, drip pan? Or, do you still use the holder, sans the beer?

I either brine in a flavorful mix or marinate. If I'm not using a rotis then most of the time I cook chickens butterflied or halved on a kettle. Occasionally I cook them whole just sitting on the grate with this and that stuffed in the cavities.

Scott

I'm not a fan of b/c chicken. I think I'm in a small minority on the Board that likes low/slow chicken on the WSM. I either cook halves or butterflied halves. Marinade overnight in WB Italian, season, waterpan full of water, light on smokewood and 5 hrs later I have a very moist, tender, succulent product. I discard the skin for health reasons. I also, will do whole chikens I have brined on my EZ Que kettle rotis - comes out great. Less often, but sometimes, I do butterflied halves on the kettle or WSM (empty waterpan) at 350. Still good.

Paul

Don't forget the Goya Mojo !
Marinate overnight in that, and you got some tasty stuff ! I don't think I'll ever use Italian again.

I'm with you Paul, I get enough calories as it is so I don't eat the skin. I think low and slow chicken is great. Since my Cajun Injector arrived from the states I've used it once and immediately noticed chicken that is very moist and juicy and tender, and it seems to allow you to take the chicken to a higher temp to ensure there are no red bones.

morgan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Greenia:
Don't forget the Goya Mojo !
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so correct. I learned about it on this Board and have begun using it quite a bit. Just used it overnight for a pork tenderloin and turned out great. I've been paying about $4 a bottle from a place that is famous for overcharging. Is that a reasonable price ? I couldn't find it in my regular grocery store.

Paul

Back