Chicken Brine Question

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I'm going to hang-roast a couple chickens this weekend (most likely Saturday) I brined one (seems to be quite popular here) so my two part question is:

How long should I leave it in the Brine? (OK, two part question) can it be in the Brine too long?

When I take it out of the Brine, do I rinse it, and if I do, do I let it dry after rinsing?

My brine is:

3/4 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1 TBL pepper
1 TBL cayenne

TIA/HMDW

Chuck,
I usually brine mine about 5 hours. After I take it out I do rinse it and, if I have time, will let it air dry a couple of hours in the fridge uncovered. I think if you leave it in the brine too long the meat will start moving toward a mushy texture but I haven't experienced that yet.

Todd

I have brined for 24 hours and never had a problem. I rinsed off brine and cooked. I think if you don't rinse, it's salty.

Thanks guys, the one bird has been in the brine for about 12 hours, I'll take it out later today, rinse it good and pat it dry. I'll then add my rub and let both birds sit in the rub for a few hours before hanging them

4AF65355-C975-464E-B9F0-4A993EB6E66A_zps3ckmcu8f.jpg

920C9244-6F3C-43D8-AD9D-F1256FEF4DB8_zpssemkpbec.jpg

Chuck it would be interesting to know if you and your guests notice the difference between the brined and unbrined bird.

I usually brine 12+ hours and I do rinse mine including inside the cavity pretty good and pat in dry with paper towel and then inject and apply my rub

I usually brine 12+ hours and I do rinse mine including inside the cavity pretty good and pat in dry with paper towel and then inject and apply my rub
That's pretty much how I did this brine. I think for my next brine, I'll reduce the salt to maybe only 1/4 cup. The brined chicken was indeed better than the non-brined, but it taste a bit salty. Not overpowering, just saltier than I like

It really was good chicken

70C2A620-5942-4AFB-914D-3899C8883FF8_zpsa6m6vgeu.jpg

We did the same thing and reduced the salt. I think the recipe we had we cut the salt in half and it was just right. And yes brine poultry is much better in my opinion

Hey Chuck- Your chicken looks delicious. The brine recipe excluded a key ingredient- the liquid component. Do you use juice or water? How much? I am getting a new performer deluxe when I get out of work from this weekend, and one of the things I am looking forward to cooking the most is chicken with indirect heat.

Back