Chicken and Ribs at the same time

David Damato

Hosting some friends on Monday and looking at smoking as much as possible in a single go.

Have an 18.5 smoker

Want to cook two beer can chickens and a couple slabs of ribs (using the 3/2/1 method more than likely). What is the best way to crack this nut? Meat placement suggestions also requested.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave

Personally, I would put ribs on top rack and then add chicken to bottom when about 1.5 hrs from being done with ribs. I fee like radiant heat from water pan (if empty or clay saucer) would be good for chicken and allows you to check for doneness on ribs and/or do any final glaze sauce easier. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, sure it will be great!

If you have a rib rack maybe you can get it all on the top rack after all everything will be either vertical or on edge. I know the 22.5 has a little more room but here is a pic of an 8lb roaster and 2 racks of baby backs.
100_1895aa.jpg

Thanks all. Ended up putting the ribs on the bottom rack for the first 3 hours with the chicken on top. Rotated them once I wrapped the ribs in foil and did that for two hours. Both chicken and ribs came out perfect.

Back