Charcoal burn times?

Carter Collins

I have used my 18.5 about 6 times. Each time using the minion method. 1 chimney full of briqettes unlit and a half chimney going sprinkeld over the top. I had good burn times doing that. Yesterday I did the same thing except I used a coffee can in the center with the bruiquttes around it then dumped the lit charcoal in the can the removed it. The burn time wasn't as long and it all burned toward 1 side of the charcoal ring. I am running an IUE 110.

Carter, I use a Stoker with similar results, however, my burn times remain the same. Were the conditions the same? Outside temp, meat size/temp when you put it on, water temp (if you used water)?

Outside temp was a little cooler than normal. I didn't use any water in the pan. The charcoal buring in 1 direction is what is puzzling me. I thought if the hot coals were placed in the middle the would burn outward toward the ring.

Did the charcoal burn in the direction of a vent? If so its possible that vent might have been open more than any others, charcoal tends to burn in the direction of incoming air. Sidenote: I have no exp. with and IUE110 so YRMV
icon_smile.gif

Carter

Are you using the Pitmaster IQ 100? If so, the lit coals in the center seems to be the problem.
Kind of like burning into the wind.

Andy

Evenness of charcoal burn is probably the one thing that keeps me from buying an ATC, but water in the pan will help even out the grate temp, at least if you cook over the pan. Don't think for a second that I'll stop using water in the pan just because I get an ATC.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Evenness of charcoal burn is probably the one thing that keeps me from buying an ATC, but water in the pan will help even out the grate temp, at least if you cook over the pan. Don't think for a second that I'll stop using water in the pan just because I get an ATC.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll get charcoal burning in one direction if you only leave one vent open, without using a temp control device. I'm not aware of it being a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the Auber ATC and get a very even burn. The fan doesn't blow directly on the coals, it just supplies oxygen. I start with a full ring of unlit, pull about 1/2 unlit and light them in a chimney, then put them back in the middle and get the WSM up to temp. I then turn over control of the pit to the Auber. I don't get uneven burning, and even if I did, the ATC would blow just to keep the temp steady.

With an ATC you don't use water in the pan, because you want the ATC to have nimble control of the temps. The water helps if you are trying to keep the temp steady without an ATC.

Andy, timing the cook seems to always be the biggest challenge on my butt and brisket cooks, so I might just have to get one of those gadgets one of these days. Guess the decision will be which one to buy since there's quite a few out there.

If your careful and don't peak an 18" will go 18 hours with Kingsford and the minion method at 225F without any controller. Although I've not done that in a long time as I don't cook at 225F any more.

Carter,

Was there any wind?

I almost always use that version of the Minion Method with no type of fan control. I live in an extremely windy area in so cal. I have had some real uneven burns. What has worked for me is to adjust all three of my vents evenly from the get go, not allowing more air in from one vent or another. Also, a wind block is critical.

Back