Charcoal bowl vent stuck?

David Moss

TVWBB Member
Hi All, Need some help please. One of my charcoal vents is stuck in the closed position. It's so stuck that when I try to force it open the metal will bend. So, how do I get this vent working again without bending the metal? Thanks, David

Try pouring boiling water on the vent. The vent on my dome gets stuck every once and a while and the water does the trick.

Al

Spray WD 40 on the outside of the vent and on the inside. Give it a good soaking and then gently work the vent back and forth. I've had that problem and its worked for me.

Paul

WD 40 would be my last choice. I might ultimately use it, but I would try something that is more food friendly first. I like vinegar. Try spraying that on the vent from inside and out. If I had a small propane tourch, I would heat the vent up first (not red hot, just hot enough that you wouldn't want to touch it).

I once had a blender blade that wouldn't rotate due to the crud buildup, and decided what I needed to clean it was the equivalent of paint thinner that was safe to drink. The answer: tequila. Don't laugh, it worked. You might give it a try.

I had a similar problem with my top vent. I didn't clean things up as quickly as I should have, and the top vent got stuck in the closed position. I made the mistake of forcing it open, being careful not to bend the tabs... the result?... damage to the rivet.
icon_frown.gif
Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

I've since used white vinegar, followed with a liberal rinsing with plain water. I do like the tequila idea, though. I'd still rinse it with plain water and allow to dry thoroughly before reassembly and covering.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
I once had a blender blade that wouldn't rotate due to the crud buildup, and decided what I needed to clean it was the equivalent of paint thinner that was safe to drink. The answer: tequila. Don't laugh, it worked. You might give it a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Use that low quality Cuervo Gold for that. Save the good stuff for sippin'!

Never underestimate the power of the pressure washer. Maybe you have tried this already...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:

That's great!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Use that low quality Cuervo Gold for that. Save the good stuff for sippin'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I don't drink any of that stuff. Somebody left a half-bottle at my house after a party.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back