Charcoal Basket Question

Joe Sisco

Hello all - I am new here, so if this question has already been answered, let me know! I like to cook ribs on the grill. I set up for indirect grilling with two charcoal baskets on each side of the grill and the ribs standing in a rib rack in the middle of the baskets with a drip pan or some aluminum foil under the ribs. I am able to maintain a steady temperature, but I always have one basket (the left side as I am facing the grill) that goes low or even goes out entirely. I try to keep the lid vents centered over the ribs. I assume there is some kind of air flow issue that is happening, but I can't figure out what is going on. Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?

I have had that problem. But just make sure that both the upper and lower vents are clear. And if it persists then rotate the ribs.

If you're using a chimney, the charcoal on top may not be fully lit. Try pushing the baskets together and using a bit of a swirling motion when dumping the coals in. Saw that on a Schuey's BBQ video. Also, maybe rotating the lid halfway through the cook would help. Gotta be related to fuel or airflow, right?

I’ve been in that canoe more than once, I find that there really is NO definitive reason for it so, I try to fill baskets as “evenlyl as I can… yep, that’s what I try to do. Has it made a huge difference, not really, make it as even as possible, don’t worry too much and shift things back and forth as you must. I have been known to just lift the grate and turn that if one side is really getting a “bit much” as my dad used to say.

Yes, very common problem. If one side becomes dominant, it sucks all the oxygen, and the other side starves. Making sure the fuel on both sides is exactly the same would help, but no guarantee. If you had one of those older kettles where you can control the intake for each vent individually (not one-touch), that might help. Positioning the exhaust vent over the weak side might help, but by the time you see the problem, it might be too late. When I cook pork ribs on a kettle, I do it the SnS way - charcoal on one side, ribs on the other. Good luck.

Could be just the way the wind is blowin. I try to face mine into the breeze ( if any ) and position the top vent downwind.

Sometimes the coal just needs a little stir, to loosen up the ash that may be blocking the holes at the bottom of the basket.

Back