Cedar plank flavor too strong.

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I made boneless skinless pheasant on a cedar plank yesterday per Kevin's recipe found here. I highly recommend the recipe. The pheasant was very moist, juicy, and flavorful. My only complaint is the cedar flavor was very strong. I was hoping for only a hint of flavor but it seemed to overwhelm the rest. I've never cooked on a cedar plank so I didn't know what to expect. Here's a little bit about my process.

I used store bought cedar planks. Per the instructions, I soaked the plank for 1 hour and pre-heated it on the grill for about 5 minutes prior to adding the BS pheasant. The pheasant breasts took about 45 minutes to cook indirect at 350 degrees.

Any ideas on how I can tone down the cedar flavors?

Jerry,
That is an excellent recipe and makes the most moist pheasant i have ever had. I like cooking on planks, but almost always use alder. Oak can be nice too, but i am not a fan of cedar at all. As you noted it is too strong, at least for my tastes.
You also noted how much time the plank added to the cooking time. They act as a heat shield.I usually preheat longer that you did, and before i add the meat, i turn the plank over so the hot side is up.
Try the recipe without it next time and you will like the pheasant even more.

Paul

Thanks for the response Paul. Good tip on flipping the plank over prior to adding the meat. Didn't think of that. The planks were last year's Christmas gift from my MIL. Seemed like a good time to try them out. Next time I probably won't debone the breasts either. Maybe that will help tone down the cedar flavor since the meat won't be in direct contact with the plank. Alder sounds like a good idea too. Might want to give that a try.

I did notice the longer cook time as well but I figured it was from the frequent basting. I'm sure a hotter plank will speed things along.

i cook my cedar plank salmon over direct heat rather than indirect.

I usually spread the coals thinner to get a nice even medium/high heat.

I've done chicken this way too, but I've never been overwhelmed by the cedar flavor.

Great looking slammi'n "Meat Ninja"! The hardware store by my house sells cedar smoking chips. What are everyones thoughts on those? I am considering buying them.

I have to confess that I've never quite gotten the point. I have a pack of cedar planks but haven't done anything with them after my first or second try. They seem way too fussy for the benefits.

Back