Cat5 Plug Design

That's great! I also had a hard time with plugging the wire into the wrong jack, so I bought some silicone RJ45 dust covers which are surprisingly expensive (38 cents each). This looks a lot cheaper and just as effective, thanks for sharing.

or just push an un-crimped CAT5 cable end into the rPi CAT5 jack.
I have plugged my CAT5 cable into the wrong port once or twice, it happened when I was frustrated trying to troubleshoot a network issue. Otherwise, when plugging in only the CAT5 cable for the damper I never really screw that up. My concern was that plugging a network device into the HM output (rather than the rPi where it belongs) would damage the network device, fortunately when I made the error I learned that it will not cause any damage, so no big deal here. I guess one other solution if you find this to be an issue is to run a rPI A+ instead, or just don't worry about it cause it wont hurt anything if you get it wrong.

I used a blank RJ45 connector as Ralph suggested. However, you do have to crimp it first. It won't fit with the pins sticking out of the bottom. It doesn't need a wire inserted, just push the pins down so they are flush or counter sunk into the connector.

If you don't have an RJ45 crimper, you can just push the pins flush with a flat blade screwdriver.

Not as elegant as WBegg's design, though.

I thought of all the above designs, but I have a 3D printer, so why wait.

3D printers are awesome. I broke a knob off my dryer the other day. I designed one up and printed it. Had to wait 2 hours for the print, but better than 2 weeks for the part.

Back