Cast Iron Grilling

You guys have taught me so much in grilling and smoking. So i look to you all again in Cast Iron grilling. I would actually love a section on this since a lot of you do use cast iron when cooking.

So my friend just gave me a Cast iron skillet for free from the lodge. I plan on starting with simple stuff like peppers and mushrooms but even that has me thinking. Do you guys preheat the pan on the grill or just through it on there with everything cut up?

how do things like potatoes take to cook in the cast iron skillet? I have never cooked potatoes like this so i have no idea how to plan the time. I know its just about cooking with it to figure it out but i don't like to mess up food when cooking.

For frying, is it hard to control the grease from getting out of hand? This scares me a bit.

Thanks for any info.

I always preheat my CI with the grill. Just put it on there when you fire up the grill. I use mine for breakfast and breads mostly so I can not speak to frying. I do recommend picking up a griddle when you have a chance. It opens u a lot of opportunities. Good luck and let us see some pics fo your cooks.

Big Mike - better watch out when you go down the cast iron road. If you are like a lot of us, you will find that you will soon be looking for more storage space because they can multiply on you very quickly. ;) I love using CI for making hashbrowns. Just remember, bacon fat is your friend. IMO Russet potatoes and CI are like peanut butter and jelly.

It is not just for outdoor cooking. The skillets make some awesome cornbread and cobblers. I use the small dutch ovens for baking bread all the time.

If you are new to it, just take the time and make sure it is properly seasoned. Unfortunately, a lot of CI cookware get messed up and/or discarded because people don't know how to take care of it. If you have any questions on condition, post a picture and I am sure plenty of folks here will help you out. There are a ton of videos on YouTube telling you how to season/re-season CI.

Last edited:
Fried potatoes....

I made some patatas bravas (spanish fried potatoes; translates to "fierce potatoes") over the weekend along with paella on the grill. I par boil the potatoes and then fried them in canola oil for about 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Made a hot tomato based sauce and they were really good!!

attachment

I'm am also interested in this topic. I haven't bought a cast iron yet so I'm curious... How do you wash a cast iron pan?

I have several pieces, some of which were my grandmothers. It is my cooking vessels of choice. You must have a square skillet for cornbread. Thats an essential in my book. I also have a 12" skillet with lid that stays on the stove always. My two dutch ovens are gumbo, jambalaya, maque choux, and stew seasoned. I have cooked an entire breakfast on my Weber using my cast iron. The preheat question depends on what your cooking. The key to cast iron is the density. It hold heat better than all others. Great for making a roux.

You must have a square skillet for cornbread. Thats an essential in my book. . .

Cornbread shall be round not square. It is the 11th, often forgotten, Commandment. <g>

I have Lodge CI cookware that was brought to TX from TN and MS during WWI and WWII. My mother, grandmothers and aunts all made cornbread in a round 12" CI skillet. In addition to people needing multi-purpose cookware, the reason for using round may be the same as Alton Brown explains for mac and cheese. When using square the food in the corners begins to dry before the rest is done. Square may be practical for commercial establishments but we can do better at home.

Look at pics of covered wagons and the old rural south. Most of what you will see are round skillets and dutch ovens. No biscuits in a square pan on the Chisholm Trail.

General Info:
There is no mystery or magic to CI cookware. If pioneers could use it you can too. Preheat CI. The heat kills bacteria. Move it on and off the heat source, turn down the burner or lift as needed to control heat. It only takes once or twice to remember not to pick up hot CI without a kitchen towel, pot holder or mitt. Well seasoned CI can be rinsed under running water, never soak. Thoroughly dry with a paper towel. Place on a warm grate or burner to assure it is thoroughly dry to prevent rust from forming. If the seasoning should be lost the piece is not ruined. Remove any rust and begin the seasoning process again. Bacon grease and solid Crisco are traditional favorites for establishing good layers of seasoning. 80/20 hamburger works well to add seasoning layers and makes great stove cooked burgers. Do not allow cold water to splash on hot CI. The cold water will cause the hot CI to break, explode, into pieces with a sound you will never forget.

Thanks for the info. I use my round skillet for cornbread as well. When I am done cleaning I wipe the skillet down with vegetable oil. I also recommend the dutch oven which is great for cobblers and chili. One warning, a dutch oven lid can chip ceramic floor.

There are certain things that really on do well in cast iron (you can cook about anything in CI, but cornbread MUST be baked in cast iron:D in a ROUND skillet). I won't bore you with family history, but my family came from Appalachia (Kentucky) and cast iron pans came with them. My grandfather was a master molder in a grey iron foundry and he made many of the family's skillets. Cornbread is THE staple of Appalachia. I told my wife when we were about to become engaged that any wife of mine had to learn to cook cornbread, Appalachia style (my wife is from NORTHERN Ohio). My wife learned from my mother how to cook cornbread and frankly, she does a better job (more consistent) than my sainted mother did. We just recently celebrated our 55th Wedding Anniversary. "Nuff said"...

I haven't done much Dutch oven cooking on the grill but I have a history with a CI dutch oven while camping including biscuits and strawberry shortcake... You can do a marvelous job with a D/O and a campfire (plus WOW the natives;)). The same could certainly be done on a grill. So, jump in, the water is FINE:wsm:.

FWIW
Dale53

I came home with one skillet and it reproduced into eight pieces while I wasn't looking. I use I for stew, bread, corn bread, chili, beans, potatoes, and on and on. You won't know what you did without it.

I clean mine with a scrub brush and a tiny bit of water always rubbing a little crisco around in it after wards.

This is a great post. I love cast iron and since I bought my 26 I have gone back to using it more and more. Elaine that is probably the best short narrative I've ever read My skillet for corn bread is a 10" Wagner. I started out with Robert McGee's recipe and went from there.
I have two D/O's, a griddle, a Lodge serving dish which is awesome on the kettle because of the room it takes up and 3 other fry pans.
I have two Ove Gloves and they are great for handling cast iron.

Last edited:
I used my skillet last night and it was great. Needs to be seasoned a little more which isn't a problem. I also ordered a 3 inch lodge CI that i plan on using it for eggs. My son loves eggs on his hamburgers so i thought that would be perfect. Its funny when i try to talk with my wife about this. I told her i got the CI for free and she gave me a very sarcastic "Yay!".

Back