Cash and Carry Store: frozen pork bellies and "pork sides"

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
I just discovered a "Cash and Carry" in north Seattle. This is now going to be my "go to" place for meats for the WSM. Not only do they have great looking tenderloins, briskets, ribs, picnics and butts, but they also carry a 10-12 lb box of frozen pork belly for $2.49/pound. Visually, the belly looks great (nice evenness of thickness, good meat to fat ratio, clean skin, etc....).

Some questions:

1. Has anybody else smoked previously frozen bellies? Have you noticed any difference in quality or taste?
2. Assuming they are fine from a quality standpoint, can I thaw the entire belly in the fridge and then re-freeze the portion I don't use for bacon curing?
3. In the alternative, if I cure the entire belly, is it OK to cut it up and freeze (and vacuum seal) the sections for smoking at a later date (or should I just smoke it all at one time)?

One last question, I also found a small oriental store that carries something they called "pork side" which looked a lot like belly. Is this just what it sounds like, the side of the pig instead of the belly underside? Has anybody used this for bacon?

Ron,

I can't speak to the frozen belly, but I have purchased both butts, baby backs, and pork spares from Cash and Carry and the quality of the meat has been fine. There is some great values in the spice section as well.

You need to get out more Ron!
I'm guessing you found the Cash n Carry off 125th near Hwy 99? You have to be sure to look at the packing dates on the cases of meats below the displays. They are my last resort for meats. Business Costco in Lynnwood or Restaurant Depot in Woodinville have a better supply IMO.
Ranch 99 or H Mart in Lynnwood are both great Asian markets for bellies.
If you are looking for Berkshire Pork, I would suggest Select Gourmet Foods/The Butcher Shop Cafe in Kenmore on Juanita Dr. near Bastyr/St. Edwards Park-ask for Bill!

Last edited:
Brian,

The Cash and Carry I found was behind the Alberstons & Petco at N 131st & Stone Ave N. in the Haller Lake area. I'll have to check out the Ranch 99 and H Mart.

Back