Care of new PCI grates??

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,

I have a 6 year old Genesis Silver B and today I purchased new PCI grates and flavor bars for it. The grill is immaculate and still works great, it is just that the grates had a few chips from someone other than me scraping it with one of those bladed scrapers...grrr. Rather than a simple wire brush. And the flavor bars just look nasty. So I figured it was a good time to put some money into it and have a great grill once again.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is any first time usage care I should be concerned about the grates. Season the grates? Etc...

Any advice would be grately (like what I did there) appreciated. TY

As Phil said, you don't NEED to do anything, BUT...

Being as I like things my way, I turned the whole grill on high for 30 minutes to eliminate any manufacturing residues, then let it cool. Then I removed the grates and wiped them heavily with canola oil (the highest temp readily available oil) and heated them for another 15 minutes. Necessary? no. Comforting? to me, yes.

At the suggestion of a friend, I also used a chunk of natural meat fat to pre-grease the grates for every cook. He actually suggested rendered bacon fat (preferred for the great aroma), but I couldn't find any locally and instead used the heavy fat cap from my last brisket. Cut it into about 1" cubes, wrap with wax paper, freeze until needed and rub it over the grates with long tongs. It takes a few extra minutes, but I don't end up with my grill smelling like dripped burned oil or burned spray (yuck!). And it is great for non-stick.

Rich

Back