Cardinal Red Handles

Noel Del Real

TVWBB Member
I picked up a gently used GA at the Oakland Flea Market for $10. I initially bought it 'cause it came with 3 wood handles plus I had been wanting one for small tailgating get togethers. I'm very inpressed with the way this thing cooks. I love my Stanford football and came up with this to support my team.

New white handles

Rit dye. It comes in lots of colors. You can add a little or a lot to make diffrent shades

The end result.

pink ? pink ? thats stanfords color ? just kidding. looks cool. does that really stain into the plastic ? cuz if it does i'm making mine all black. by the way, my dad went to stanford. was a bit of a radical back then. dean was not a friend of dad.

pink ? pink ? thats stanfords color ? just kidding. looks cool. does that really stain into the plastic ? cuz if it does i'm making mine all black. by the way, my dad went to stanford. was a bit of a radical back then. dean was not a friend of dad.
Ha Ha! Leave it to the rookie to not check the quality of the pics!. My kettle handles are black. It last for a good time. Nothing like good college stories. I'm sure your dad has a few.

psst ... Check this out
http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/12/28/macadamia-nuts-with-spam®-classic-flavor/

spam nuts,purty cool. i had heard of them but never found them here. well, i'm gonna take yer word for it and dye a set of handles black and see how that goes.
can't be worse than the white color no matter how it turns out. me, a rookie ? well, yea.

spam nuts,purty cool. i had heard of them but never found them here. well, i'm gonna take yer word for it and dye a set of handles black and see how that goes.
can't be worse than the white color no matter how it turns out. me, a rookie ? well, yea.
Not at all. I'm the rookie for not checking my pics. All you guys are pros in my book. Good luck with the handles!

Noel-
This is a neat idea seeing as you can dye these handles any color you want. This may be a good solution for recoloring the blue handles on a sun-bleached "Simpsons" grill. I'm curious though, does the dye want to rub off on your hands?

George-
Post up some pics when you're done dying your handles black. I wonder if these handles could be dyed a dark-brown to come closer in color to the original wood handles. It's not going to trick anybody into thinking they are wood, but like you say, certainly better than whitish plastic!

AJ, the ink won't rub off in your hands. But, do be careful when you use it. Don't get it on your clothes or countertop.

just stuck half a handle in a plastic bag, poured in some dye(black)straight out of the bottle and gonna let it sit for hours till its as black as it can get.
i just washed the handle as a prep step. i will see if sanding or whatever is needed as i go along.
if i can get the handles to a dark grey i will be happy. i'm using a handle from the ga i use the most. i noticed that as its from the side i put the coals, the inner part of the handle is showing signs of burning so not sure about that part.

Last edited:
well, that was a massive failure. near two days of soaking in the bag and the handle looks like a sick grey green color. plus all the scratches and marks now stand out.
so i will try a differant method of using hot water with a measured mixture and see how that works.

Back