Can't remove Weber gas cartridge from performer gas assist.

Alan Keen

Anyone had this problem before?
I am trying to remove the gas cartridge to fit a Weber adapter for bottled gas, but the canister just spin around on the regulator rather than unscrewing. The Lindal valve is quite basic and I can't think of anything to stop it unscrewing.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers :)

Just a guess ( I don't know what's available in Europe) but is it a first generation performer with a quick connect fitting?

I am trying to remove the gas cartridge to fit a Weber adapter for bottled gas, but the canister just spin around on the regulator rather than unscrewing. The Lindal valve is quite basic and I can't think of anything to stop it unscrewing.

Any advice appreciated.

Yes in a humid enviroment you can get get a calcium like looking build up on the threads.
Spray a little bit of liquid wrench, WD 40, or anything you like let it sit and work for awhile the then slowly work the bottle to loosen a small amount and retighten keep doing that till it breaks loose. It may require more penetrating oil.

Now after you are done and before you put on another bottle wipe the area clean with rubbing alcohol, or sprAy with brake cleaner, use a clean rag to clean the threads and cup area to help stopping from happening again.
If you do not use the grill during the winter remove the 3 lb bottle. And cap the gas port.

Could you use heat to break the seat?
Granted you dont really want to go all rose bud flame on it but you could get a piece of metal red hot and hold it against the female thread.
An old screw driver or two might work.
Heat expansion does wonders on freeing tight threads.

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe you have tried this pull down on the gas cartridge as you unscrew it.

Could you use heat to break the seat?
Granted you dont really want to go all rose bud flame on it but you could get a piece of metal red hot and hold it against the female thread.
An old screw driver or two might work.
Heat expansion does wonders on freeing tight threads.
I would have second thoughts of using a open flame around that 3lb gas bottle a small leak would be found quickly, and you could lose a couple parts.

I do like the idea of pulling down while you twist it off, and then work it back and forth till it breaks loose, if not open a beer go to plan 6. I just thought of a oil filter wrench. Several different kinds way more torgue.

I think it’s good I said we should scratch that idea.
Best be educated on this before you begin.

I made lots of money piping hazardous items in my career.
That’s what I do.

Couple of questions,
Is/was the tank empty?
Have you verified that it is empty
You do know it has a purge port that can release pressure right?
You do know that if you put a cheater like an oil filter removal tool you will probably damage the weak tubing down stream of the tank right?

We heat gas fittings all the time at work to free them up after the proper inspectio.

Also I never said put an open flame into this area.
Holding hot metal on that brass female thread a few seconds should break the seaze.
I was thinking more in line like an electrical soldering iron.

If this is a question you have to ask you are probably not qualified to do the work so don’t.

Me?
I can’t work on transmissions.
Wouldn’t even want to try.
Same goes with stitches so don’t do this at home :).

I think it’s good I said we should scratch that idea.
Best be educated on this before you begin.

I made lots of money piping hazardous items in my career.
That’s what I do.

Couple of questions,
Is/was the tank empty?
Have you verified that it is empty
You do know it has a purge port that can release pressure right?
You do know that if you put a cheater like an oil filter removal tool you will probably damage the weak tubing down stream of the tank right?

We heat gas fittings all the time at work to free them up after the proper inspectio.

Also I never said put an open flame into this area.
Holding hot metal on that brass female thread a few seconds should break the seaze.
I was thinking more in line like an electrical soldering iron.

If this is a question you have to ask you are probably not qualified to do the work so don’t.

Me?
I can’t work on transmissions.
Wouldn’t even want to try.
Same goes with stitches so don’t do this at home :).
All good points, and sorry I did not understand your idea of heat apologize.
One thing forgot to mention is that where the bottle screws in is a large fitting about 1 inch size so if someone would use a strap wrench they could support the plumbing with the wrench.
But this may be a dead horse.

I have tried to use the solution suggested by @Alan Keen but I end up damaging the canister and the regulator. Until now I still cannot remove the canister. (see the picture)

Any suggestion on how to remove the canister?

IMG_0857.jpg

Back