Can't get high enough temp - drill holes?

DougG

I'm wondering if my 6,000' altitude is the factor. Did a search, and still not sure.

Used 3/4 bag Kingsford and let the whole thing get grey and hot. Only way to maintain 275 degrees is to prop the door open about 1".

Anyone else at altitude have this problem? I'm thinking of drilling 3 more holes in the bottom to let more air in.

Maintaining 225 deg F is not an issue, but more than that has always been tough.

There are mods on here where more holes and daisy wheels have been added. There is also a door prop mod that is very simple. I just can't find them right now.
icon_redface.gif

HH just isn't the wsm's forte unless you do some mods, or crack the door some at the least. Most folks are happy replacing the gauge with another exhaust vent.

Doug, here is another link for an added top vent. The idea being more air out + more air in = higher temps.

Thanks guys. I propped the door open by installing it upside down and wedging my tongs in there. Kept it at 300 deg and the Turkey turned out great. Late, but great.

My new motto... "Late, but Great".

I think I'll do the extra lid vents when I get time.

Family is happy!

Drilling holes is not a bad idea. I have added extra intake and exhaust vents with good results. Just read a method for controlling air flow thru the new vent holes. Might sound crazy but these guys swear it works and it is CHEAP! Get some refrigerator magnets to cover the holes when not needed and to adjust the opening when wanted. My wife has a refrigerator full of magnets, now which ones won't she miss?

Mark

You can also prop the top of the WSM a little to get air flowing. It's what I do to get it going for high heat cooking.

FWIW I've never had any trouble at all doing high heat...

22 WSM
full K ring
full can minion start
all vents wide open
empty ash ring
No water for 300+
Remove pan for 350+
Works every time....

Back